Competition / Vending event.

Matthew

TVWBB Pro
I am thinking of doing a Vending/Competition event for our local downtown event in Oct.

It is KCBS style, but a backyard version. If I enter, the only thing I have cooked for a comp is Ribs and Chicken, both done well. Pork, I smoked many times, but not for points. Brisket, never done anytime. Open and Desert..

Open I am thinking of 3 possibilities. 1. Pulled Pork Parfait 2. Bacon Wrapped Boneless Rib (aka CSR) 3. My Beans..
Desert, I am wide open, either fruit or a apple crisp with Ice Cream

Other Coin... Vending. I have really never done this before for ppl I don't know, but I have the ability to fill the ppl with good food...

Menu Options are

Pulled Pork Mini Sliders, on Sweet Hawaiian rolls $1.00
Bacon Wrapped CSR on a Stick.
Beans
My newly bottled BBQ sauce..
Ribs leftover from Competition. $1 a rib, $7 Half Rack 12 Full Rack

Each ticket is worth a Dollar and I keep 85% of the sales.. 15% goes to Downtown organization

Thoughts on Menu, comp or pricing??

I'd charge more for your leftovers, but depending on how much you plan to sell it might not be worth it. You seem under priced- I'd do the sliders $3 each or 2 for $5 (depending on size). Ribs - you're selling them barely above cost- I might double that. Look around

This place had their prices listed but they're offline now:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?61461-Wisconsin-gt-Cable-Big-Bud-s-BBQ&highlight=big+bud

Here's a blown-up thumbnail from a message I sent of it
11924914_10204920017302096_3802451402826636589_n.jpg

Agreed. Way under charging for your food. By-the-way, Do you know if your state requires any permits for vending to the public? Don't want to put a damper on things just want you to be prepared.

As far as the permit is concerned, we have to get a temporary permit.. We can get 14 of these a year. They want too much money for a food handler (catering) fee.. I think the permit is reasonable, My main purpose is to get ppl to have me cook for them and to promote my new BBQ sauce.. It will hit the local stores here in a month, (fingers crossed) and hopefully get the word out...

Oh I know I am low, but we were told to keep prices resonable.. I may raise the price of the ribs to 1/2 rack to $10 and full rack to $15. I think I will have atleast 12 racks of ribs.

As far as Sliders, they are not big and I would serve them like this, but no slaw. I did raise the prices on the sliders, to $2.

pulled-pork-sliders.jpg

Here are what I am looking to sell for the boneless Ribs in Bacon. Just with one piece of meat with Bacon.. I would like to try without the skewer.

$2 per slider is half the price you should be charging. That's basically just over cost depending on a few factors. If you're curious about price, don't make your sign until the day of and then take a walk around and see what your competitors are charging. you may be surprised.

Will the contest organizers take a cut? 20% is pretty normal.

Do your best to recruit lots of friends to help with vending. It's impossible to deal with the public and properly run your competition plans without a lot of help.

Really? double the price? I see about the walking around.. The competition and vending wont over lap.. The competition is scheduled to be turned in around 1-2:30 Vending will start around 3 that day (Saturday) I will have some buddies helping cook and a few gals to sell and take tickets. The cut is 15%. I think I could do 2 for $5 on the sliders, I am there to promote my BBQ sauce.. And get leads on cooking for future events.. Appreciate the info guys...

Actually did a spreadsheet, and I was shocked at what I was charging and getting in a profit...on average, I was averaging about 35%... that is just PRODUCT, food ... Not silverware, plates, or other items... I will use the leftovers, all included... I figure if I don't sell all my meat, I can take it home and eat or put in freezer, or if it is not cooked, I will freeze and use it later...

If I can upload the spreadsheet, I will later..

35% profit on food cost is way off the mark man. You want it to be more like 100%. Make loss leaders if you must to promote your sauce but make it worth your while at least.

Last edited:
So if u think 200% profit is necessary? So if an item cost $3, I need to sell for $9? My profit margin is 35%. I can make a pulled pork for 67¢ and I see for $2.50. That's not good?

35% profit on food cost is way off the mark man. You want it to be more like 100%. Make loss leaders if you must to promote your sauce but make it worth your while at least.

Many years ago, and never with food (electronics type stuff) if I didn't know how much to mark things up I'd charge cost x 1.67 plus installation etc.

Using that multiplier that wound up working for me for a few years, and assuming a rack of ribs cost you $10.00, I'd have charged $16.70 - still way low for BBQ.

$10.00 (rack) x 1.8 = $18.00

Play with the #s and pay attention............you'll find something you find fair and competitive.

So if u think 200% profit is necessary? So if an item cost $3, I need to sell for $9? My profit margin is 35%. I can make a pulled pork for 67¢ and I see for $2.50. That's not good?

.67 at 200% profit margin is $2.00. .67 at 35% margin is $0.90

But your cost on that slider probably isn't only .67, you have to amortize registration, licensing fees, fuel, insurance, tax, and your time into the item cost.

At the last competition we vended full racks of ribs were being sold, and not by us, for $26. They sold out both days. Markets vary of course.

I just got a copy of the menu *ppl prices last year* and I AM under the prices, but not THAT much.. I did get a good idea of what I can do.. I have really never done something like this to MAKE money... I will adjust and make a new menu and repost here as it is done.

Oh I understand... Just a quick question, they would like us to do a people choice.. I make KILLER smoked beans with rib tips... I was thinking of those, but would they be too hot and melt those little 2 oz portion sample containers?

Well I had the vending s d it was s SUCCESSSSSSSSS. In 2 days and sold just under 2k. Take home around 1650 and net around 1200. I sold lots of the boneless ribs. They sold like hotcakes. Lot of ribs. Beans n Pulled pork sold equally as well. Each night I took NO food hone with the exception of some pulled pork. That, I put those in the beans for the next night.

Back