Pulled pork with some bourbon? Thoughts?

Mark Alcorn

i have 18# of pork butt on the smoker for pulled pork. It has seasoning on it. I'm wondering what the thoughts might be about throwing a cup of bourbon into the final mix.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

I would say no. But you will never know until you try. Let us know if you decide to do it.

I've used a 50/50 mix of bourbon and cider vinegar as a spritz for pork butt, and liked the results. I don't know if has a huge impact on the final flavor, but Bourbon!

Some people find the taste repulsive, so I'd base it on who is eating it. A cup of raw bourbon in that amount of pork would drown out any other flavor. I wouldn't do it; because I don't like alcohol flavored foods, and prefer to drink it.

I misread the OP... didn't realize the question was about adding bourbon after pulling :eek:

I wouldn't add raw bourbon to the pulled meat. However, if you took some bourbon, sweet vermouth, chicken stock or drippings from the butt, and maybe a touch of your dry rub, and reduced that down to a syrupy consistency, *that* would be awesome to add back into the shred.

Like Eric says, better not. Sometimes, you just want a hint of something, not get smacked over the head with it. Maybe try a small amount when doing the final "mix up", like 1/4C or less. AND make sure all your "eaters" like bourbon. You may find it the best booze on the planet but others.....maybe not so much. Maybe try reducing it to burn/vaporize some of the alcohol in it first. That's why cooks when they use booze, "flambe" it, to (mostly) get rid of the alcohol , only leaving the flavour behind.

edit. maybe add "essence of bourbon" from http://redheadoakbarrels.com/aging-barrel-store/essence-whiskey-family/ several varieties available (although I have NO idea if this is either desireable or practical).

Last edited:
I agree with David. Some people find the taste of raw bourbon objectionable (can you imagine?). I wouldn't use it post cook.

I make a pork carnitas by braising a butt in a mix of orange and lime juices, herbs and such. After the pork is done, it's removed from the DO and left to rest. Meanwhile, the braising liquid is filtered through a sieve and the broth reduced about 3/4 to almost a gravy-like consistency. The sauce is then poured over the shredded pork, which pretty much absorbs it all. The shreds are then broiled to make the outside crispy.

I don't see why you couldn't do this with a smoked butt, making the broth with some bourbon in it, reduce it, and pour it back over the shredded meat. You'll end up with pork that's really moist, with all the flavor of the bark plus the sauce.

Back