New HM 4.2.4 build - Rpi B wont boot with stock openWRT image

Brian Winters

Hi all,

So I ordered the complete HM kit with TC and the Rpi from the heatermeter store. I received it on Thursday and was so excited I stayed up till 2am putting it all together in the hopes of using it this weekend. As of last night, I couldn't get it to work - I had typed up an epic post with all of my steps to ask for help, but while waiting for the mod to approve my account, I believe I resolved the issue. (maybe)

The raspberry PI would not boot with the openwrt-brcm2708-sdcard-vfat-ext4.img – with or without the heatermeter board attached. It worked fine with raspbian and openelec, so I believed the issue to be the WRT image. While researching that, I stumbled upon this post on the openwrt issue list https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/14955 which suggested that I need to replace the bootcode.bin and start.elf file on the SD card for "newer pi's". I did this and suddenly it was working - still no HDMI output, but I get an IP and can manage the HM from the web interface. Everything appears to be working in the app, but my probes do not read any temperature. I planned to reuse the probes from my maverick wireless redi-check unit, but my suspicion now is that they are not compatible.

Question: Did replacing the bootcode.bin and start.elf files cause anything in linkmeter to not work? Could that be the issue with the probes not being recognized, or is it something else - like my probes or my soldering job?

Also, if we do indeed need to update the files for the newest pi's, I used the ones from here https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/tree/master/boot. I would be happy to do a PR or something if there is any way I can help.

Also also, just a quick thanks to Bryan and everyone here, I had a ton of fun putting my heatermeter together. I've spent the last month or so stalking all of your posts so I feel like we are family already. Great community, amazing project, awesome people.

-Brian

On the no HDMI output. Try plugging in the HDMI to the rPi AFTER you have powered the HM... IDK why, but oddly enough my monitor will sit there in sleep mode if plugged into the rPi when I power it up, but will come to life if I plug in the HDMI after the rPi has been powered.

On the no HDMI output. Try plugging in the HDMI to the rPi AFTER you have powered the HM... IDK why, but oddly enough my monitor will sit there in sleep mode if plugged into the rPi when I power it up, but will come to life if I plug in the HDMI after the rPi has been powered.

Oddly enough, my screen and rPi B+ interact in exactly the opposite fashion. If I plug in my HDMI after the rPi is booted up, I get nothing.

Thanks, I will try that Ralph.

So I guess I just need to wait until my new probes arrive to know for sure if I have a problem or not? I plugged in a different probe I had laying around and it read 672 degrees sitting on my desk, so I am hopeful the connections work and I just need to get the right probes in there.

Back