WSM 22.5" leaky bottom dampers?

JoshEdlin

The dampers on the bottom of my 22.5" WSM don't fit very tightly. I bought the replacement parts from Weber and they fit just as poorly as the ones that are on there. Is this how they normally fit?

gclF3ial.jpg

fdz8Z0Al.jpg

you should remove them and bend them so they fit better. Test fit, bend some more if needed. Keep bending and testing until it fits tight. Make small adjustments and creep up on it. You need to make it fit the contour of unit. No problem, you can do it.

Those are a terrible fit! Did they come that way out of the box? If so, I'd contact Weber.

They should fit snugly against the wall of the cooker with little or no smoke leakage around the edges when fully closed.

If you don't have the tools to bend them, you can buy replacements from Weber that should fit properly.

I agree, that is a terrible fit, even worse than a ECB.
Based on the way mine fits and the ones I have seen on the store's display WSMs I don't know how it can be so bad.
The damper appears to be correctly formed, is the screw tightened?
It should be tight enough the damper has resistance when you turn it.

I used a fist sized hunk of PVC pipe to form a few of mine back, just tap it lightly with a mallet around the perimeter of the pipe.
If your worried about damaging the porcelain than remove it ( like you already did ) and flip the vent over so the tabs are facing down.
Place that over the pipe (or any right sized cylinder) and tap the center down with a small ball peen hammer.

Tim

Back