Spirit v Weber Q- tolerance to cold & snow

Alyssa H

TVWBB Member
I live in California. We don't have snow or many days below freezing. My Genesis sits outside all winter (usually ) covered and is just fine. Now I want to buy a gas grill for our cabin in Lake Tahoe. We get a lot of snow and it gets very cold. We likely would not grill much during winter so it would just stay covered on the deck. I am worried about spending a lot of money and having it damaged by the cold and snow. I realize that the majority of the country has cold and snow and I assume the grills hold up ok, but we are wimps out here. :)

So question is... Should I spend a little extra money on the Spirit and a good cover or get the Weber Q that I can store in the shed or house?

NOt sure of the new Chinese made Weber stuff but my old (23 yo) Genesis sits outside in the midwest. WAY worse conditions than you'd ever see in CA. No problem

I didn't have a cover on my ~2001 genesis silver b last year. I had to brush off snow & peel a little ice once in a while but it did just fine. I'd decide which one you'd rather cook on & get that...

I've only driven through Tahoe (and seen pictures / heard stories / seen videos) but I know it gets a ton of snow. I also know that rodents have been known to chew through the gas lines, they may also be more prone to invade your grill to eat grease.....

Kind of a tough call, but weather shouldn't be an issue. If you want to use a 20# propane tank for your Q there are issues you'll want to be aware of...nothing bad, just need to know.

....I've hiked around Alta ski area a few times this summer so far, and I noticed that on one of the decks there's a covered weber grill.....I assume it's an older Genesis like mine.

Cabin owners will probably have the best answer for you.

Last edited:
My number 1 complaint with the Q's is the inability to indirect cook, my number 2 complaint is the low ceiling. That said, the Q's are mighty hardy. I never once covered my 320 and it's held up fine. My baby Q has been bashed around in the motorcycle trailer with the bikes and tool boxes and held it's own. They are tough lil BBQ's. I don't think you could pull off that kind of abuse on a Spirit

I have keep a Q320 in the shed at our place on Hood Canal for several years and it has held up great in spite of the salt air. It gets plenty of use when we are there. In spite of what Chuck says, I use Phil Hartchers tips for cooking indirect and have great success with this method. I don't do a beer can chicken on it, instead I spatchcock my birds and cook them with this method which cooks the whole bird evenly. Like Chuck suggests, the Q's are very sturdy and reliable units that would last you a long time.

Q 3200 owner checking in from Newfoundland, Canada. I'll give you a minute to Google "Newfoundland" so you can see where I live.

Done? Okay, good. So as you can see, I live on a rock that is plunked in the North Atlantic off the coast of North America. No one has a harsher winter than we do. While I have a love/hate relationship with my Q (you can't really cook indirect), that grill will outlast anything else in my backyard.

I've kept the Q covered in my back yard, rain or shine, for two winters and it still looks brand new. I even had to leave the province last year for 7 weeks (starting in February), and the grill sat buried in snow for those seven weeks, and it is still no worse for wear.

Never owned a Spirit, so I can't really comment.

I will say this, however: only get the Q if you want to be cooking up the typical grilling fare - ie hots, hams, chops, and steaks. And only if you're going to be doing it for small crowds (5 - 6 people, tops).

Since it's difficult to cook indirect, you're only going to be able to get a couple of pieces of meat in the center of your grill. If that's all you have to fit there, then perfect! If not, well you may want to way out your options.

the q3200 is a sturdy grill and use mine often. i also have a couple kettle grills. if this is going to be your only grill, i would go with a larger grill with mor cooking surface.

Back