Mini WSM - pics

Mark-H

Thanks to the information here, I was able to find a IMUSA steamer pot at a local WM and build a Mini WSM.

The pots lid would not fit on the bottom of itself, but it fit the SJG's lower section very well.
The lid from the SJG fit the rim of the pot but was snug especially after warming up, so the rim was crimped lightly using pliers.

I used an 18" charcoal grate with just the outer most section cut off to hold an aluminum pie plate diffuser on the bottom lip of the pot.
1/4" hex button head stainless screws (with fiber washers), to hold two SJG cooking grates (4" and 8" from the top).
Did not get pics of the expanded metal charcoal ring I made, but here are some of the outside of the Mini and a Spatchcock chicken on it.
The SJG already comes with us when we are camping, and now the Mini parts will as well. :D

1997 by Mark H, on Flickr

2003 by Mark H, on Flickr

20150816_195347 by Mark H, on Flickr

20150816_160733 by Mark H, on Flickr

20150816_160858 by Mark H, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks good Mark. I like the dark wood handle on the top vent.

Thanks Pete, it was the end of an old paint roller extension I found in the garage.
After I drilled it and screwed onto the bolt, I chucked it up in my cordless drill to make sanding easier.

Really impressed with how well it draws and cooks and looking forward to using it again.

Great Looking Mini! Spatched bird looks great too. Great way to break in your new smoker!

She is a beauty....That chicken looks great and I know you are going to have many more good cooks. They are very economical to run also. After a few cooks try cooking on it without a deflector. Cook at about 300 and let the drippings drop on the coals.

Never thought about doing corn on the mini. Do you add any more wood chips for smoke, or just cook em up like they're being grilled?

Never thought about doing corn on the mini. Do you add any more wood chips for smoke, or just cook em up like they're being grilled?

We love corn from our Performer or Mini WSM, usually try for about 15 min on indirect heat.
I normally don't add more wood chunks after I've started cooking.

We've tried it in the husk but prefer the flavor without, and also they are ready to eat when they come off too.

Back