Wisconsin > Cable: Big Bud's BBQ

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
https://www.facebook.com/BigBudsBbq

While on vacation in Cable last month I stumbled across Big Bud's BBQ, which shares space with R Place Cafe about 3 miles south of town on US-63. The cafe is open during the day (something like 6a-2p) and Bud's is open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 4pm until 9pm (earlier if he sells out).

BigBudsBBQCableWI20150730_01.jpg

The guy working in the kitchen was wearing a Lang t-shirt so I'm guessing this might be a Lang smoker.

BigBudsBBQCableWI20150730_02.jpg

It's not a very big place, with a short counter and a few tables in the dining area.

BigBudsBBQCableWI20150730_03.jpg

I decided on the ribs & chicken combo with beans and cornbread, and a pork sandwich.

BigBudsBBQCableWI20150730_04.jpg

My younger daughter was actually cooking dinner that night so the 4 of us had barbecue as appetizers a couple of hours before we ate. The pork was pretty good and his sauce isn't too sweet. That's our traditional vacation tablecloth, as I ordered the food to go and we ate it at the lake where we stay.

BigBudsBBQCableWI20150730_05.jpg

My daughter liked the cornbread so much she ate it all before the rest of us got a taste!

BigBudsBBQCableWI20150730_06.jpg

The ribs and chicken were very good, with a little more smoke than a lot of barbecue restaurants use up here. The ribs weren't quite fall-off-the-bone and the chicken leg was nice and moist with skin that wasn't too chewy.

BigBudsBBQCableWI20150730_07.jpg

The slaw was slightly different as it contained corn and a little bit of cilantro. I'm not a slaw person but my wife and daughter thought it was very good.

BigBudsBBQCableWI20150730_08.jpg

On the other hand, I'm the sole bean eater so these were all mine. If I had to guess I'd say it's more likely they're doctored beans rather than made from scratch, but either way I thought they were excellent. They had a heavy dose of black pepper so my mouth really woke up, and there was plenty of meat and a nice smokiness to the flavor.

BigBudsBBQCableWI20150730_09.jpg

The general consensus was that while Big Bud's is solid with the barbecue, the sides were really done well and we'd definitely eat there again. Hopefully Bud's does well with the locals and the vacationers (one woman came in and picked up a $60 order while I was there) and can make a good go of it.

Pretty big tourist town Cable is, Brad.... Hope they hang around for a while.
Been to Cable only once, it's gorgeous up there.
Thanks for the review!

Back