Made a cone for the Smokey Joe

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
It works well. Makes killer wings.

PICT0984_zpsn0mzdcyw.jpg

PICT0995_zpspiujkuuv.jpg

I need to horse around with it a bit & see what else it can do. Grill real estate is rather limited. I'm hoping it's more than a one-trick pony.

Noob here, any chance of more details on cone? Great lookin wings.:p

Sure! It's made of 16 gauge steel. The base of it is approximately 7.8 inch diameter. The top of it is approximately 5.6 inch diameter. It's 3 3/8" tall.
To draw a pattern you will need a straight edge, a ruler, a compass & a protractor. The formula to draw the pattern is R/Sx360*. R=radius. S=slant height.
The pattern takes a while.

I cut the metal with a plasma cutter, but you could use a jig saw or a metal cutting band saw. I bent the cone with a new to me slip roll (I need to practice with it - the cone could have been better, but it's BBQ so all is good & I'm not selling "cones"). You can also make a "faceted" cone with a press brake or even bend the metal in a vice. And then the cone was closed with a weld. Sorry, no pix of the process.

If you make one, have fun & post pix.

To my knowledge, there is not one manufactured for the Smokey Joe. I'm sure that if one was available, it would cost as much or more than the grill. & then there would be shipping.

& thanks, the wings were great!

Last edited:
Skills ! Great job measuring up, cutting and welding your cone. I certainly don't have the skills/equipment to do it. Please let us know what else you cook with it. The volcano cone site has a standing chicken inside the (inverted) cone and charcoal in a ring of fire on a Weber Kettle.

I don't want to steal your post, but I bought a thrift store steam basket and am going to make wings on my Jumbo Joe. I'll post pics/results soon.

Skills ! Great job measuring up, cutting and welding your cone. I certainly don't have the skills/equipment to do it. Please let us know what else you cook with it. The volcano cone site has a standing chicken inside the (inverted) cone and charcoal in a ring of fire on a Weber Kettle.

I don't want to steal your post, but I bought a thrift store steam basket and am going to make wings on my Jumbo Joe. I'll post pics/results soon.

Please do. JJ is bigger than SJ. fwiw.

I did a few wings boneless skinless breasts (cut and whole) on my JJ with my steam basket. It worked out well. After 30 minutes I kept checking temps since this is my first time. I think the concept is the same as your cone. Family really liked the smoky, juiciness of the breasts, I did too along with the color of the chicken. The wings were on direct heat to crisp up the skin. This steam basket will be used often now for weekday/quickish cooks

50 minutes into the cook:
20334013073_705befd7a5_z.jpg

Here's a pic at 1 hour after crisping and almost ready to come off:
20768285739_e3d528beca_z.jpg

FYI, the shape is a 'Frustum'. I used to make foam fillers for custom loudspeaker builds, and used a frustum shaped mold. I work at an engineering firm and a friend made me a frustum calculator in Excel. I just enter the desired top diameter, bottom diameter, and height. The calculator figures the radius of the cuts and the overlap beyond 360 degrees to get you're desired diameter. I'm going to look on my work computer to see if I still have it. It would make figuring the exact size you want easy.

Please share your Excel sheet. I can post some specs for the Jumbo Joe. Going to do more wings tomorrow and post details.

I was thinking of buying one of these, & cutting off the bottom. Comes in various sizes, should work I think.

2pra8fm.jpg

Back