My new to me 2013 Performer

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
I just purchased a 2013 Dark Green Performer that is in exceptional condition (except for the cover).
I think I'm going to love it... however I'm not so sure I like the way the lid sticks up an an angle when at "attention".
So... I see that the new Performers have: "The lid bale clearance was increased by 2″ to provide much better access to the grill while the lid is stored".
I think I would like this cooker a lot better if it was like that.
Has anyone bought parts from Weber & modified the older grill to accept the new lid bale?
I bought this because of the table & the gas assist. Never thought about the lid issue. There isn't a "hook" inside the lid to hang it off the edge of the lower chamber.

Oh... how & how many of you have cut a slot in the bowl to accommodate probe wires?
Why do I hesitate to do this when I have done it in a heartbeat to my WSMs?

Last edited:
Several guys on here have put the new lid bale on their older Performers with no problem.
Also, did you know that the slot in the back of the Performer is there to hang the grate?

Congrats on the new addition!!! I personally find it easier to just sit my lid on my concrete patio 70% of the time, but I too would be intrigued to see if that 2 extra inches of clearance would make a difference. You mentioned that you bought your Performer for the table and gas assist. I bought a used Lime Green Crate and Barrel Performer, and have used the gas assist once (in fact the previous user said that she never used it once) so I'm indifferent about it...but having a built in table (and HORRIBLY sturdy at that) is one of the greatest god sends...so convenient!!! Can't speak on cutting a slot though, I was spoiled and have a newer model WSM with a wire/probe grommet:eek:.

I did the bale and table swap on my Performer and couldn't be happier. Both are simple swaps, no modding necessary. The new metal table is the cat's meow and I love the extra room that the new bale provides.

I did the bale and table swap on my Performer and couldn't be happier. Both are simple swaps, no modding necessary. The new metal table is the cat's meow and I love the extra room that the new bale provides.
I'm assuming you got the parts directly from Weber? I too would like to know that cost of the table and new lid bale?

I would really like to make a custom butcher block top for mine using Maple or White Oak (White Oak is almost as "hard" as NA Hard Maple but more weather resistant) but that's one of those off in the future when I have time type of projects

pics of metal table?
IMG_20141011_144404724_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141011_145726149.jpg

Honestly, having seen the table in person, I'm not convinced its any better then the gray nylon table? Personally preference I guess?

Honestly, having seen the table in person, I'm not convinced its any better then the gray nylon table? Personally preference I guess?

Doubt that you could burn it. That's my concern with the thermoplastic one. Or is it a worry?

IMG_20150703_180305.jpg

65189 Metal table, Performer, silver vein '15
65188 Hardware, tuck away lid holder '15

Price for the table is $63.xx+ $7 shipping. Lid bale is $30.xx + $7 shipping. Shipping is combined if you order both.

That said, some over at WKC have gotten better pricing from the CSR's they dealt with at Weber. Not sure as to the rhyme or reason, but some have been charged $38.xx + $7 for the table and $13.xx for the bale.

As for the table itself, it's really nice. It's not heavy duty, but I think it will hold up just fine. I have no concerns about burning it, scratching it up, or accidentally breaking it while holding it by the corner and moving the cart. Another huge benefit in my opinion is that it's much easier to keep clean.

Owned both and metal is hands down better. Plastic table was prone to staining and scratching. Metal is easy to clean and very durable.

I can place a hot lid in the metal table without no fear which couldn't be done with thermoset.

Back