Patience is a virtue, right?

Larry D.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Two butts, coming up on 13 1/2 hours at 250 degrees and it looks like I'll be pulling them way after dark. I'm glad I didn't promise to have them ready for dinner tonight.

Nothing unusual, I know. I just needed to vent. (Pa dum pum!) ;)

One thing I like about doing the boneless butts from Costco is I get rub in all the nooks & crannies, & then I never or rarely tie them. This means that there are flaps of thinner chunks with a lot of bark that are begging to be pulled off, done earlier than the rest if desired.

One thing I like about doing the boneless butts from Costco is I get rub in all the nooks & crannies, & then I never or rarely tie them. This means that there are flaps of thinner chunks with a lot of bark that are begging to be pulled off, done earlier than the rest if desired.

Yah, those little "nibble bits" are da' bomb!

larry that is a long cook! What size butts? Hope they turned out well! You can't rush perfection!

Patience for me is hard on a lot of things as I want it done now, but for some reason when it comes to grilling and smoking food I have all the patience in the world. Must just be for the love of food.

You can't hurry butts
No, you'll just have to wait.
Butts don't come easy,
It's a game of smoke and wait...

I took them off after about 14 hours. They never reached my target temp, but at 195 degrees a poke with a skewer showed that they were ready.

Just how big were those butts?

I like big butts and I cannot lie...

But the truth is I rarely smoke anything larger than 5 pounds or so, takes too long. If I have an 8-9 lb butt I cut it in half. More bark too!

Just how big were those butts?

I like big butts and I cannot lie...

But the truth is I rarely smoke anything larger than 5 pounds or so, takes too long. If I have an 8-9 lb butt I cut it in half. More bark too!
They were probably about 7-8 pounds each. They're now pulled, vacuum sealed, and in the freezer (except for some I kept out for myself). I don't generally mind a long cook, since I mostly do them overnight. With this one the meat went on at 7 a.m. and I thought I'd be eating pulled pork for dinner that night, (cue John Belushi voice) but NOOOOOOO.

I gave up on the crack-of-dawn smokes many years ago. Since the WSM is so stable I almost always smoke overnight if I expect something to take more than 8 hours.

I gave up on the crack-of-dawn smokes many years ago. Since the WSM is so stable I almost always smoke overnight if I expect something to take more than 8 hours.

Last time I smoked butt was 20lbs and I got up at 3:00 am in order to have it ready for around 2:00 or so. I made it by 'or so'.

Back