What makes for a good packer?

Carl H.

TVWBB Super Fan
People post about sorting through a pile of beef briskets to find the best packer. What do you look for?

You want one that has a good amount of marbling. This is probably the key factor. These are usually the more expensive grades. A nice angus beef grade might fit the bill. Look for uniform thickness of the flat; that is hard to find. Look for one that bends easily; hard to tell with a cryopac. Good luck.

You want one that has a good amount of marbling. This is probably the key factor. These are usually the more expensive grades. A nice angus beef grade might fit the bill. Look for uniform thickness of the flat; that is hard to find. Look for one that bends easily; hard to tell with a cryopac. Good luck.

I'll second all that and just add a recommendation to buy the best grade you can find -- it will make a big difference in the final product. Finding a uniformly thick flat is difficult, even in the better grades. Butchers are cutting briskets "long" these days, so don't be afraid to lop off a few inches of the flat to even it up a bit. Unfortunately, availability of good grades may be very limited in some parts of the country.

I look for the most limber one I can find

023_zps0e2bf322.jpg

042_zps48949891.jpg

Last edited:

Back