Score!!!

Eric Michaud

TVWBB Super Fan
So I have been looking to buy a cleaver but this week I was cleaning out the barn for my Father, ( he usd to be a Chef and grew up in the restaurant biz) and stumbled upon this A Foster Bros 2190 cleaver. Still figuring what to do to clean it but it is pretty damn sharp, no dents or nicks on the blade. Guess my search is over.
Any thoughts on restoring welcome.

A grinder with a wire wheel would probably take care of most of the corrosion, and give it a bit of a shine. A ScotchBrite pad would probably handle whatever remains.

NO!!!!!

When you've got a gem like that, the last thing you want to do is take a wire wheel to it. Would you take a razor to grampa's whiskers that he's had for 60 Years because you think he should be clean shaven?? No way. Ideally, all you want to do is remove surface rust. A little barkeep friend and a scotchbrite--plastic scrub pad.

You're not going to remove the pitting. Surface rust/crap yes but what is in the pits is going to stay in the pits.

All you really want to do is put a new edge on it.

Having said that, if you are absolutely nuts about cleaning the patina off, reverse electro is the way to go
http://m.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

Gonna have to remove the rivets and then the handle b4 playing with electricity ;)

edit--I see' there's one on Ebay for $51 so not a "priceless heirloom" but still, a piece of family history that you want to treat right.

Last edited:
If you can see names, etc on the blade, here is some info I found that may help you date it:

During WWII Foster Brother's production focused on cleavers and butcher knives which were used in the military's food supply chain. They produced more than 250,000 meat cleavers during the war. The factory was closed at some point during the early 50's because Chatillion decided to liquidate the Foster Brothers properties.

You can determine the timeline of the company name that would have been marked on the blade. I have confirmed this with some knife collector online discussion boards:

1878ish-1890 FOSTER BROS. (founding name of company)
1891-1904 FOSTER BROS. COMPANY (incorporated under new name)
1904-1953 FOSTER BROS. & CHATILLON CO. (acquired by Chatillon)
1953-1956 FOSTER BROS.
1957+ COLUMBIA CUTLERY CORP uses FOSTER BRO. LOGO, original plant closes

and how to sharpen it:

How to best sharpen? These are *supposed* to be convex ground like an axe. I took mine to my bladesmith friend Bob Kramer, who rehandled it to match the custom hunter he made me. (On sale now on eBay!!!) Bob touched up the edge on a 2x72 belt machine using the slack-belt technique. You can approximate this at home with emery fabric tape to "shoeshine" the edge.

I hear what you're saying, Len... I was approaching the question from the standpoint of having a working tool, rather than preserving collectible value.

I say, if you want to use this meat cleaver.... Take It To A Professional Knife Repair & Restoration joint.
I really believe, They KNOW what to do with these types...

I hear what you're saying, Len... I was approaching the question from the standpoint of having a working tool, rather than preserving collectible value.

And you can have both. Having said that, what Jim says is the best route rather than what you can read about online.

Yeah, I will not go crazy with it. Will clean it up a bit, not quite sure what I do to the handle yet. I checked out that site with the history which was helpful. Thanks

I'd love to hear if there was any progress on this. I have a nice scimitar bladed butcher knife coming to me at some point. My grandpa-in-law keeps telling me I get it when he dies -- I'd rather he keep it and he stick around to cook with me more!

In any case, the scimitar he uses is from his grandpa, and is a very cool blade. It needs some work and a proper sharpening. I am interested in what you ended up doing to fix up your cleaver.

Back