Allingham's Meatloaf--an epiphany...

ToddF

TVWBB Member
Wife is out tonight and so I drew Thursday night dinner duty. Needed quick, easy and tasty vittles for the kiddles. Tasked the spawn with step-by-step mechanics of crafting Allingham's Meatloaf, I ran the pit summoning the angels from two peach wood chunks. Been doing briskets for a decade and a half, pork butt for 10, ribs for 5. All pretty much on the upside of the bell curve, yet my BBQ soul has been silently yearning to branch out a bit. Can't tell you how good this was; even kid who categorically "HATES MEATLOAF" had seconds. Like nothing else.

I'm going to bronze leftovers like my first baby shoes.

Just do it.

That is all, carry on.

I love reading this story because it is a good meatloaf for kids. No scary stuff inside. I'm glad they liked it, thanks for letting me know! :)

That sure looks good! I almost felt silly sitting here eating a nice big salad until I remembered there was bacon & a pickled egg in it.

I really need to do that meatloaf

We no longer do a meatloaf in the oven, only the smoker. My wife and I prefer it that way. I do' top it with a ketchup based BBQ sauce though, when I pull it out of the smoker, I place some cheese slices on it, either pepperjack or cheddar

Been doing that for about two years now. Barbs meatloaf will never see an oven again, Did I mention her jalapeno meatloaf...oh yeah.

This recipe sounds great and the pics look even better. But are we to believe that there are really no "extras" that are involved in its preparation? No veggies of any sort? Is that fresh parsley that I see?

Other quick questions, with that much sugar in the sauce, does the meatloaf have a sweet flavor to it? Does ground pork and veal come in %'s of meat and fat like ground beef?

I'd be afraid to use an 80/20 blend of ground beef for fear it would end up tasting too greasy or oily when done cooking.

I'll be trying this one soon. Thanks for the post and smoke on! :wsm:

I've been smoking my meatloaf for about 7 years . Getting ready to do 6 lbs. of loaf later this week . This batch will be ground chuck / pork / andouille sausage . I use foil loaf pans for the first hour and then flip the loaves out onto the grill and mop every 30 minutes until done . I have some huge pork hocks brining which will go on the smoke as well .

This recipe sounds great and the pics look even better. But are we to believe that there are really no "extras" that are involved in its preparation? No veggies of any sort? Is that fresh parsley that I see?

Other quick questions, with that much sugar in the sauce, does the meatloaf have a sweet flavor to it? Does ground pork and veal come in %'s of meat and fat like ground beef?

I'd be afraid to use an 80/20 blend of ground beef for fear it would end up tasting too greasy or oily when done cooking.

How's your favorite Meatloaf made?

One of the very first cookbooks that I bought for myself, rather than for my wife was "Smoke & Spice". It is loaded with good recipes, many of which have been hijacked all over the internet...but I digress.

That book has a mouth-watering meatloaf recipe in it, where you start the meatloaf in a loaf pan and then turn it out on the grill and slather with barbecue sauce. I can't count the number of times I've made that meatloaf over the years, but I can count the number of other meatloaves we've had since we first starting making it....about 3 and all were rejected.

If you need a start to your smoking library, you won't find a better one than this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558322620/tvwb-20?tag=TVWB-20

However, if you just want "Ain't Your Momma's Meatloaf", open the sample pages on Amazon and search for meatloaf...it's part of the sample pages.

Getting back to the theme of the thread...no matter what recipe you use for your meatloaf -- GET IT ON YOUR SMOKER!

There is no veg in this meatloaf. The parsley you see in the raw meat photo was something the meat department put on the meat. It's not normal and I never add it. Nothing special here, just supermarket ground meat. And I can no longer find beef/pork/veal packaged together, so I buy separate 1 lb packages of each. I buy 80/20 ground chuck, and ground pork and veal aren't sold in % fat that I know of. There's a lot of fat in ground pork, but as with the ground chuck, it mostly just renders out during cooking and the meatloaf itself is not overly greasy.

The sauce is sweet. You can substitute any barbecue sauce you prefer.

Original poster here.

Made it again last week by special request.

Kittens purred, women swooned and kids demanded THIRDS! (...of meatloaf!?!?!)

This is a no-brainer homerun, folks...! Step up to the plate, close your eyes and just swing. Can't miss.

Its a favorite at our house too, and it freezes well after being vacuum sealed.

I've starting using 2lbs ground beef and 1lb ground pork, since veal is now $9lb.

At the mention of meatloaf, my wife always found creative reasons to be absent at dinner time...until I let the R2 unit do its thing, and set a slice in front of her without any forewarning. Now, it is at least a monthly offering, with several already stashed in the freezer for those dark dreary winter days ahead.

Back