Bottom vent rivet

Dustin Flavell

TVWBB Pro
Okay long story but I just received a brand new charcoal bowl from weber for my new to me CL 18" WSM. Since the new bowl came with the vents I decided I would take those off the old and add a couple to the lid. I drilled out the rivets but may have used too small a bit. I drilled a hole right thru the rivet but can't get it to break so I can take the vent off. Any ideas? Use a larger bit?

Okay long story but I just received a brand new charcoal bowl from weber for my new to me CL 18" WSM. Since the new bowl came with the vents I decided I would take those off the old and add a couple to the lid. I drilled out the rivets but may have used too small a bit. I drilled a hole right thru the rivet but can't get it to break so I can take the vent off. Any ideas? Use a larger bit?

Yup, try the next sized (+ 1/64") bit.

Yup, try the next sized (+ 1/64") bit.

That should work. If you have an angle grinder with a flap disc, try gently grinding the rivet from the inside of the charcoal bowl.

I would only add one of those daisy wheels at a time to the lid. See how that works. You could possibly overdo things.

Maybe add another one to the bottom?

I suspect that you are going for High Heat with the WSM.

Last edited:
That worked. Thanks for the info. Robert yes I am going for High Heat cooks. I added two more to the lid of my 22 WSM and it works great, but the charcoal amount is killing me so adding to the 18.

350-400°. I often use my 22 WSM like an oven. I've cooked lasagna and enchiladas. I often like to cook sides like cast iron corn bread or or stuffing to compliment something I a grilling or smoking. The 22 is fine for this but it takes a lot of coals just to start and I really don't need the real estate.

I'm thinking about doing that to the 14.5 although I worry about it being so leaky I won't be able to go low for smoking bacon.

When I did the vents on 22 it leaked a bit at first but after a few butt and rib cooks they gumed up and seal up real nice. I haven't added the vents to the 14 and probably won't. It great for butts and tri tip but tough to do sides in becuase of its size.

I bought an extra vent kit from ereplacementparts.com and added one vent to the lid, and 2 to the bowl. Last thanksgiving i was able to hold 350-375 with two 15lb turkeys for 3.5 hours using a mix of lump and KBB. I am still able to run low temps as well after things sealed up.

I bought an extra vent kit from ereplacementparts.com and added one vent to the lid, and 2 to the bowl. Last thanksgiving i was able to hold 350-375 with two 15lb turkeys for 3.5 hours using a mix of lump and KBB. I am still able to run low temps as well after things sealed up.

What size WSM?

Back