Weber Q- Texas Style

Wes G

Seeing all the other Qs that people have painted (as well as liking the new colored Qs) I began scouring the posts and messaged some members about painting their Q (thanks to John Ford, Jerry C, and Glen Jones). I had a hard time getting SWMBO on board, but being the good Texan she is, she was happy with the results, of which I wanted to post here. Thank y'all TVWBB forum!

Weber Q 120 by wlg3, on Flickr

Weber Q 120 by wlg3, on Flickr

looks very cool and well done! What type of paint did you use? I'm curious see how well it will hold up?

Boy!!! Great paint job, you really did a good job with your Q, an as a added bonus, I'll bet the food you cook on it now will taste better!!

I used the VHT High Heat paint...it only comes in flat, but then applied a VHT clear coat to make it look glossy. I've done at least 5 cooks since then and it's holding up great. I know the smoke will discolor it a little, but that'll just add character.

So did you just use masking tape to make those clean lines and the star or ?

Looks damn good.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Greg, I used painters tape and taped off each section with newspaper. The star was the most difficult. I printed a paper of the size I wanted and cut the star out of it. I then meticulously taped the edges of the paper down, and then taped down the inside edges of the star as well. When I painted the white, one of the edges had slightly lifted and some of it bled over into the blue. I then spayed some of the blue spray paint into a disposable cup and used a paintbrush to correct it.

G'day
My weberQ is coming up to 5 years old now and starting to get a bit tacky looking. How did you prep and prime the surface. The Qs are high temp powder coated aluminiun and both surfaces are hard to get paint to stick to. So for this reason I've been reluctant to start painting mine. Seeing you Texas paint job has rekindled my enthusiasm to just do it
Regards dave

G'day
My weberQ is coming up to 5 years old now and starting to get a bit tacky looking. How did you prep and prime the surface. The Qs are high temp powder coated aluminiun and both surfaces are hard to get paint to stick to. So for this reason I've been reluctant to start painting mine. Seeing you Texas paint job has rekindled my enthusiasm to just do it
Regards dave

Dave, I had read somewhere on the forums that the older Qs were not powder coated, so I'm not sure if mine was or not, but it looked so bad I was willing to chance trying to paint it. Here's what I did. I first cleaned the surface (all the grease/grime) by spraying with WD40 and scrubbing with SOS pads. Be careful because this will discolor the original paint. After drying it off I then used dishwashing soap and water to wash the top, then dried it again. Following all the VHT recommendations I used the VHT high heat primer, then painted with VHT high heat paint, then finishing it off with VHT high heat clear coat to make it look glossy, because the paint is 'flat.' This was not a cheap endeavour, but was something I wanted to do. I adhered to the curing instructions the best I could. While probably not the most efficient way to cure the paint I placed the painted Q120 lid inside my Q320 (I wasn't going to cure it in the kitchen oven). Since then I've grilled with the Q120, which can get up to about 500 degrees, and I've not had any issues with the paint. Good luck.

That's the beauty of... I have no artistic talent. Just need a little time, paint, some newspaper, and painters tape!

Dave, I had read somewhere on the forums that the older Qs were not powder coated, so I'm not sure if mine was or not, but it looked so bad I was willing to chance trying to paint it. Here's what I did. I first cleaned the surface (all the grease/grime) by spraying with WD40 and scrubbing with SOS pads. Be careful because this will discolor the original paint. After drying it off I then used dishwashing soap and water to wash the top, then dried it again. Following all the VHT recommendations I used the VHT high heat primer, then painted with VHT high heat paint, then finishing it off with VHT high heat clear coat to make it look glossy, because the paint is 'flat.' This was not a cheap endeavour, but was something I wanted to do. I adhered to the curing instructions the best I could. While probably not the most efficient way to cure the paint I placed the painted Q120 lid inside my Q320 (I wasn't going to cure it in the kitchen oven). Since then I've grilled with the Q120, which can get up to about 500 degrees, and I've not had any issues with the paint. Good luck.

G'day
Thanks for your very descriptive reply. I'm getting to the stage where the Q looking pretty tacky and I'd really love to keep her after all her years of continuous service.
Regards dave

Wes, yer Q is killer. I can now rest easy that there isn't anything in Hill Country that someone hasn't painted with a Texas flag. God Bless Texas.

Back