Okay I'm jumping in on this bacon thing

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Okay Bob I'm jumping in, went to Costco and yep they had them so I bought one. Another new adventure.
S1033529_zpspe8zsamc.jpg

S1033532_zpsxy2ubipk.jpg

Anyone out there got any quick advice I'd appreciate it. I'll follow Bob's advice on the sticky that's on here.
Question I do have is I have to get the tender quick from Amazon because it isn't available locally so it will be a while until I can get it going and my WSM is an 18.5, should I cut it into three pieces so it will fit the 18.5 or try the whole thing on the performer.
Thanks in advance

Congrats Rich!

I like to cut it into thirds.
Reason one, one piece will fit a gallon zip bag for curing, much easier to manage.
Reason two, a whole belly makes a lot of bacon, so I'd rather freeze some belly rather than already made bacon.
Plus, if you do choose to make two or three pieces at once, you can try different flavors before smoking.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?16511-Cinnamon-and-other-bacon&highlight=cinnamon+bacon
I suggest plain for the first one.

to skin before curing, after smoking, or not at all is your choice, but I like to skin before curing.

Have fun!

Congrats Rich!

I like to cut it into thirds.
Reason one, one piece will fit a gallon zip bag for curing, much easier to manage.
Reason two, a whole belly makes a lot of bacon, so I'd rather freeze some belly rather than already made bacon.
Plus, if you do choose to make two or three pieces at once, you can try different flavors before smoking.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?16511-Cinnamon-and-other-bacon&highlight=cinnamon+bacon
I suggest plain for the first one.

to skin before curing, after smoking, or not at all is your choice, but I like to skin before curing.

Have fun!

Thanks Bob, what you're saying makes sense. I'm looking forward to trying this and your tutorial is what will guide me. That last post you did a few days ago is what pushed me to give it a try.

Good Luck Rich! Lettuce know when it's bacon, we'll bring Farm Fresh Wisconsin Eggs and a loaf of Sourdough Bread!

You can do it! When you do, you'll be amazed at how much better it is from store bought. I started a cure on some today, also.

Dwain is right, there is no comparison. I've only done it once so far but there is more to come.

You will love it. & it's so EZ.
Do yourself a favor & save some of that belly for pork tacos. You life will never be the same again.

Quick question Rich, did you dump the fall off TQ from the tray into the bag with the belly?
Shouldn't be a problem if you didn't, but might want to give it an extra day or two cure time otherwise.

Makin bacon! Can't wait to find out if I did good or not.
S1033587_zpsyt7uxnwl.jpg

Quick question Rich, did you dump the fall off TQ from the tray into the bag with the belly?
Shouldn't be a problem if you didn't, but might want to give it an extra day or two cure time otherwise.

A little late for me to be answering this, but no I didn't but there was very little and I went one day over on the cure because it was raining the day I wanted to smoke it. What you're seeing there on the tray is 90% brown sugar. Hasn't killed me yet, but next time which will be shortly I'll make sure to dump any spillage into the bag.

A little late for me to be answering this, but no I didn't but there was very little and I went one day over on the cure because it was raining the day I wanted to smoke it. What you're seeing there on the tray is 90% brown sugar. Hasn't killed me yet, but next time which will be shortly I'll make sure to dump any spillage into the bag.
Rich,
I only became a bit concerned since I said you can go with a little less than one tablespoon per pound.
Smoke is a curing agent too, so there should be no worries.

Back