AP/Client Modes

J. Winn

TVWBB Fan
I did a bit of searching and see the ability to switch between AP and client mode on the fly has been discussed before. There seems to be different ways people have or tried doing this but none seemed very convenient. My idea is identifying which USB port the adapter is plugged into and have a script either config for AP or client based on that. I just started looking into it. I think I have to install usbutils to use lsusb. Any thoughts?

Edit: Scratch that doesn't work. Nothing changes between the two ports using lsusb.

Last edited:
I think someone said they had success using two different WiFi dongles, setting one up for AP and the other up for Client mode, then just plug in the adapter that is associated with the mode you want the HM to work in. Haven't done that myself, but that is what I recall reading.

I think someone said they had success using two different WiFi dongles, setting one up for AP and the other up for Client mode, then just plug in the adapter that is associated with the mode you want the HM to work in. Haven't done that myself, but that is what I recall reading.

Yeah saw that too. Just didn't want to have to buy another dongle is all. Plus they are small and easy to lose haha.

I had another idea that I saw with an Arduino Yun. If it didn't connect to the last known SSID within 60 sec or something it would default to AP mode. I've been looking into that a bit.

Back