Question on wiring cat5 cable?

JWalker

I have my HeaterMeter up and running, and am adding my RD25 with blower and servo.

My question is on the CAT5 cable wiring.

Since my HeaterMeter board already has the CAT5 output for the blower, and my RD25 board has the CAT5 input, I can just use a standard telephone cable to connect my HeaterMeter with my RD25, correct? No need to build my own cable?

I just need to make sure I wire the blower and servo correctly to the header on the RD25 board, correct?
That header routes the correct wiring order to the CAT5 input on the RD25, to match the HeaterMeter CAT5 wiring output, correct?

Just checking before I connect the telephone cable between the two devices.

Thanks!
Jason

That's correct - you'll just need to make sure the phone cable is a four-conductor cable rather than two. (see https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/Blower-and-Servo-Wiring) The servo and fan can share a ground.

If you think you might want to ever take advantage of the RD features that allow you to run probes over the cable, you'll need the extra conductors of a CAT5 cable. I had a lot more spare ethernet cables lying around than phone cables, so I just used one of those.

As Brian said, you need the center 4 wires from the CAT5 cable for the servo and blower, so if you use a 4 wire phone cable that would work, or you can use any standard CAT5 cable, either commercial cable or hand made.

Back