Grates

J. Winn

TVWBB Fan
How far below the top edge does everyone mount their first grate. I am think 4", but wanted to check with some people that have experience using/building one. My second grate will sit on the steamer lip, and my diffuser will sit at the bottom of the pot on another grate. Thanks in advance!

i dont recall my exact specs but i found them posted in one of the threads hear If you do a search for key phrases like " inches below lip" and similar you'll find something.

You can also go to the store and measure the height of some cuts that you'll use like a whole chicken or a butt and mount accordingly.

How far below the top edge does everyone mount their first grate. I am think 4", but wanted to check with some people that have experience using/building one. My second grate will sit on the steamer lip, and my diffuser will sit at the bottom of the pot on another grate. Thanks in advance!

On all of mine I have set the upper grate @ 4" below the top of the pot. I also set my next grate at the steamer insert location. This is also where I set a diffuser when I use one.

Where are the grates on the 14" WSM? Maybe Weber knows what they are doing???:wsm:

The profile of the 14" WSM is different than the mini-wsm. The 14"-WSM has a taller body than a Mini-wsm. Also the lid profile is taller. The upper rack sits right where the lid is, which wouldn't work in the mini-wsm due to the height of the lid.

19883948702_7602cd4a0c_b.jpg

Cool thanks. I did see an extra tall build that used a second SJ base as a lid too. It would be closer to the 14.5" WSM design but the "lid" doesn't look to fit as well.

I set my grate holds at 4" below the lip of the steamer pot, leaving plenty of overhead room for my Thanksgiving Turkey

Back