Missouri > St. Louis: Pappy's Smokehouse

Rick Kramer

TVWBB All-Star
My favorite in the StL area. Good food with a tasty sauce selection, homemade sides including fresh cut sweet potato fries, and Mike and his crew are great hosts. All set in a laid back, bluesy atmosphere. Highly recommended!

Pappy's Smokehouse
3106 Olive Street
St Louis, MO 63103
(314) 535-4340

I second a vote for Pappys..it was amazing on my last trip to St Louis and will become a regular on any trip there!! Exceptional for a restaurant!!

Rick, think me and the little women are heading to St. Louis in a couple of weeks . Will definitely have to hit this one and maybe Mike Mills place in Ofallon on the way.

I will second and third Pappys.We were there a month or so ago and it was the best restaraunt BBQ I have had.Sweet tater fries were **** good.The service was very good.Talked with the boys who run the place and for sure a stop is required when I am in the area.

Tried the 17th street Cafe in OFallon. We had the champion platter. It was ok. They give you a beef rib that had little to no meat on it. Not bad stuff. I guess the best I can say about it is I'd go back but Pappy's here I come next time we're in town

Well, I went there for lunch yesterday. Big mistake,The line was out the door and then some. While I was waiting I got a chance to talk to one of the owners. Real nice guy. Told him I wasn't a big fan of baby backs. He went in the kitchen and got me one to sample while I was waiting in line. Very good!! My wife and I split a whole slab. The ribs were very meaty and dry rubbed. She was even raving about the ribs and she's not a big rib fan. I must admit for baby backs they were pretty darn good. If you are going there arrive early to get a seat and avoid the wait. the owner was saying that Thursday, Friday,and Saturday nights the line almost wraps around the building which is not really that big as far as seating is concerned. These ribs were far and above better than the ribs I had at Mike Mill's place in O'Fallon.

Agreed on Pappys. The owners are nice and very customer friendly, the atmosphere is relaxed, casual, and above all, the food is outstanding. I love their ribs and pulled pork. Can't vouch for the other meat offerings, but they know how to do pork. Nowhere better in St. Louis. The fact that they can actually run out of food should tell you something. Next time if you hit a crowd, and you can forgo that bbq urge you were anticipating satisfying, head next store to the U. They make great sandwhiches.

I've had Pappy's about 4 times... They always deliver great bbq. The ribs can't be missed. For anyone wanting to open their own BBQ joint... Follow their model. Make enough to sell out. People will come back sooner and in greater numbers the next weekend to get what they missed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Tried the 17th street Cafe in OFallon. We had the champion platter. It was ok. They give you a beef rib that had little to no meat on it. Not bad stuff. I guess the best I can say about it is I'd go back but Pappy's here I come next time we're in town </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you ever get the chance to try the original 17th street in murphysboro, il I think you'll be pleased. The ofallon location is quite poor. I don't know why either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
He went in the kitchen and got me one to sample while I was waiting in line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is what makes that place Pappy's! Great food and atmosphere! The ribs are lip smacking good and the brisket is always moist. You do want to get there early to get a good seat and great food. The owners definitely go out of their way to make your experience good!

The barbecue at Pappy's was exceptional. The ribs were some of the best I've had in a long time from a restaurant. What impressed me the most was the service. My whole family went which included an infant and two toddlers. Although the wait was quite long (which I didn't mind because obviously the que was good), Pappy spotted us and began talking to us. He asked where we were from and even talked to my kids. He took a real personal interest. He asked about my background with bbq and at that point he realized that I cook often. He started sharing some of his tips on meat temp, rubs, etc. He ran into the kitchen and brought out samples for all of us to try. Within five minutes Pappy pulled us to the front of the line (since he didn't want my wife and I to stand there holding kids) and he actually FOUND A TABLE FOR US! None of the other patrons minded since he explained to the folks in front of us. I felt like he was an old family friend.

Pappy and his restaurant are the real deal. Outstanding food and great, great down home hospitality. The best I've ever experienced in that regard.

In all the years, miles, and restaraunts we've ever eaten in Pappy's is the only place my wife has said "We're coming back tomorrow!" when we ate there for the 1st time about 3 years ago. Was there in early November, recognized Skip's daughter, asked about Skip, and she said "He's right over there." which suprised me because I knew he was working on Bogart's. Met Skip while he was still at RUB in Las Vegas - walked up to say "Hi" and was totally amazed that he remembered me and even greeted me by name. Everything we've ever tried at Pappy's has been great!

We visited Pappy's this past summer right when they opened. waited 45 min in line to get our food. once ordered, it was served quickly. Brisket was so-so but sausage was good. Pork was really good and ribs were excellent. This was the best food at a BBQ place that I had ever eaten. I highly recommend it if you can handle the wait. Regards.

I went last week with my daughters on a trip to St Louis. There was a pretty good line when we got there just before noon on a Friday, but having read the reviews above, we expected it. The wait was at least a half hour to order, but then the food came fairly quickly. Ribs, pulled pork and sausage link were all very good. The brisket was very disappointing. They had a few options on sauces and I thought they were all good. The sides were also very good. Good bluesy atmosphere, as someone noted above - at least as bluesy as you can get during the daylight. Overall, I highly recommend Pappy's, but I would suggest sticking to the pork.

Pete

Waited 45 min to get food at Pappys and it was worth the wait. Ribs were great, pulled pork was very good and sausage was excellent. The brisket was my least favorite as it did not ave a lot of flavor. Had a good time there and the owners made the rounds and asked each table how the food was and even bussed the tables. Well worth a visit. Far better than most BBQ joints.

Back