Build questions

J. Winn

TVWBB Fan
I bought a chrome pot trolley I was going to use to set the diffuser on, after I take the wheels off obviously.
d45ad505_image.jpeg

I am assuming since the smokey joe grill grate is chrome as well this should not be an issue. For the diffuser I bought a couple different terracotta saucers. My only issue is the one says water resistant terracotta so I'm wondering if it's coated with something I shouldn't be using in the smoker. The other one is "antiqued" and as you can has a kind of white wash; also wondering if this one is safe. Thanks!
6e6b9c93_image.jpeg

Also, I wanted to attach the pot lid to the bottom of the pot to get a better fit and bit extra height. However, the pot doesn't fit into its own lid. It's the 32qt IMUSA, I thought this had been done with the IMUSA pots.

Last edited:
IMUSA pots are hit and miss when it comes to the SJ lid fitment. I used a grinder to take off as much material of the rim to fit the lid snugly. I finished things up with a file. Looks like the pot came that way. I've some people crimp the pot lip, but, IMO, doesn't look good. Here's what I did. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?58600-I-guess-it-s-time-to-build-a-mini

As for the diffuser you are using, get it as far away from the fire as possible or it will break. My first cook, mine broke. That's why I went to a metal pie pan. This won't break.

IMUSA pots are hit and miss when it comes to the SJ lid fitment. I used a grinder to take off as much material of the rim to fit the lid snugly. I finished things up with a file. Looks like the pot came that way. I've some people crimp the pot lip, but, IMO, doesn't look good. Here's what I did. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?58600-I-guess-it-s-time-to-build-a-mini

As for the diffuser you are using, get it as far away from the fire as possible or it will break. My first cook, mine broke. That's why I went to a metal pie pan. This won't break.

It's not the SJ lid that's the problem; I already took care of that. My problem is the pot fitting into its own lid. I wanted to attach it to the bottom of the pot as others have done.

It's not the SJ lid that's the problem; I already took care of that. My problem is the pot fitting into its own lid. I wanted to attach it to the bottom of the pot as others have done.

That is a problem on the bottom with some of the imusa pots too. What if you flipped the lid over so the bottom of the lid mates with the bottom of the pot. It may work, but the fit to the base would need to be looked at as it might be a bit loosey goosey! Worth some investigation though.

Is their a reason people dont just reshape the lip? I used a hammer with a 2x4 piece on the inside and went around the rim a few times. Fits great and seals like a champ.

I haven't seen an IMUSA pot fit into its own lid like the vasconia pots. Mine doesnt. I was going to put a thin gasket between the bottom of the pot and the lid then bolt them together but decided it wasn't worth the effort.

That is a problem on the bottom with some of the imusa pots too. What if you flipped the lid over so the bottom of the lid mates with the bottom of the pot. It may work, but the fit to the base would need to be looked at as it might be a bit loosey goosey! Worth some investigation though.

Yeah I thought of that. However, then the pot/lid combo just skates on top of the SJ; doesn't mate at all. If I end up just having to set the pot inside the SJ, using the 12" chrome pot stand at the bottom of the pot over the hole I cut and setting the terracotta on that is this going to put the terracotta too close to the heat? Also, does anyone have any idea if either of the two saucers are "food safe". Also, I'm guessing there is a reason only the cooking grate is chromed and the coal grate isn't. Is the only reason that the chrome will end up just flaking off? Or does anyone have a reason using this chrome pot stand is a bad idea? Thanks again!

Yeah I thought of that. However, then the pot/lid combo just skates on top of the SJ; doesn't mate at all. If I end up just having to set the pot inside the SJ, using the 12" chrome pot stand at the bottom of the pot over the hole I cut and setting the terracotta on that is this going to put the terracotta too close to the heat? Also, does anyone have any idea if either of the two saucers are "food safe". Also, I'm guessing there is a reason only the cooking grate is chromed and the coal grate isn't. Is the only reason that the chrome will end up just flaking off? Or does anyone have a reason using this chrome pot stand is a bad idea? Thanks again!

When I use a diffuser i set it on the steamer insert. I like to be able to load the charcoal basket up for longer cooks. If I am wanting to use the lower cooking grate, I just set the grate on top of the foil wrapped terracotta tray.

Case,

I have seen you talk in many threads of attaching the pot top to the bottom, but I have not seen a full explanation on how you achieve this. Are you attaching it by solder, jb weld, etc... If you can point me to this it would be great (have looked a bit around).

Update: I guess I found my own answer. From some pictures you have them just bolted together in some, riveted in others. Assuming you are using Stainless Steel Rivets?

Last edited:

Back