Smoking in a time warp?

DBWallis

TVWBB Super Fan
I know, be careful what you wish for ;)

It seems like my cook times are way less than what I read about here and in other recipes.

For example, I smoked a 15 pound brisket last night (meat hit the smoker at midnight) at 250, expecting at list 15 hours cook time. It hit a plateau at 165 at 6 am, so I foiled it and reduced the smoker temp to 235-240, and the temp alarm announced that it reached the target temp of 190 just before 8 am. I gave it the probe test with an instant read thermometer, and the probe entered easily, even at the thickest part. The internal temp reported by the instant-read was anywhere from 190 to 195 depending on where I tested, so I pulled it and stuck it in a cooler to rest.

Is 8 hours cook time for that size brisket within the normal variation?

Also, my Maverick reports about 20 -25 degrees hotter than the dome thermometer on my WSM, which sounds typical, and the temp was 250 +/- 3 all night long.

I have similar results time-wise with fish and pork butt too.

Last edited:
BTW, here's the brisket after several hours of resting:
BE566EDB-8D06-46A7-965A-D691C9613C3A.jpg

Any recommendations on the best way to re-heat this bad boy?

Wow that thing cooked fast. I had a 12 lb one cook in about 9 hrs once but usually mine stall out longer. Maybe you got a long skinny one and wrapping will definitely speed up your cook time. Maybe it has something to do with the humidity there. Of course the foil kind of eliminate that.

Wow that thing cooked fast. I had a 12 lb one cook in about 9 hrs once but usually mine stall out longer. Maybe you got a long skinny one and wrapping will definitely speed up your cook time. Maybe it has something to do with the humidity there. Of course the foil kind of eliminate that.

Actually, for once the humidity is pretty low, especially for July! It stalled at 165 for about 30 minutes or so before I foiled it.

You may want to double check your Maverick with the boiling water test

I did a quick check with hot tap water (just replaced the water heater, tested the water with another known-good thermometer), and it looked pretty good. But you're right, I think a boiling water test is in order.

On the other hand, that WSM turns out some amazing food!

Fighting of a food coma... plus I was up all night tending the brisket!

The brisket was super tender (as in, cut it witH a fork), but a little fatty. I wonder if a longer cook time would have cooked out more fat? But it was very juicy, with an awesome smoke ring. I'm calling this a victory!

B81E915E-54B5-4445-A3A0-637BDBE4EF26.jpg

We served it with a family recipe potato salad and grilled zucchini:

3CEE8956-E9B7-4435-A453-78DE0691614E_1.jpg

I think an 8 hour cook is just fine. And it does look kinda flat so even for its size, it is fine. Besides, the real test is how it tastes regardless of time and it looks wonderful. Congratulations! Donna

DB:

I usually do a couple briskets, one on ea shelf, my pit temp is usually set at 215 to 230. For a couple 16lb pieces I figure anywhere from 18 to 24 hours. I've done lots of them and it's always the same.

I usually hang at 165 for 6 hours plus before it starts climbing again and then they usually hang again around 180 for a while, not near as long. I never foil on my food, read too many controversial things about cooking with foil that comes into contact with food can leach aluminum. Call me a nut, but foils change color for a reason when it they interact with rubs containing salts.

Regardless, foils decrease cooking times same as a pressure cooker. Steam cooks foods fast. Generally, my thought about foil is it is something done to decrease cooking time. Some do it to maintain or add moisture. it is probably both that attracts foil users. I have always had nice moist, melt in your mouth brisket without using foil; however, with a roasting pan and a lid, I'm suspecting I could cut my cooking time down to 12 to 15 hours if I cooked it covered when the internal temp hit 160F.

CraigW

Wow, it's really interesting to see the variety of ideas on smoking brisket!

It came out quite tender and juicy, so I'm guessing that another hour or two wouldn't have hurt anything.

Thanks for all the replies!

Wow, it's really interesting to see the variety of ideas on smoking brisket!

It came out quite tender and juicy, so I'm guessing that another hour or two wouldn't have hurt anything.

Thanks for all the replies!

Brisket looks outstanding! That's definitely sliced point you have there. Some people separate it from the flat and make burnt ends which are awesome. Personally I leave them together and slice them Central Texas style. Basically, you cut the flat against the grain and then when you get to the point you turn the brisket and cut it an angle such that you get a compromise between cutting the point and the flat against the grain. The fat, if its at the right consistancy can really be a treat, in my opinion. The line between awesome and gross is really kind of personal, though.

Everyone has an opinion on this stuff. 2 more hours could have totally ruined your flat or it may have been fine. Getting that flat perfect is really the challenge.

Update:

I cut into the flat this weekend, and while it was a bit pink in the middle rather than brown, it was extremely tender when reheated... to the point that drying to drag a 1/4" thick slice with the tines of a fork cause the meat to brake apart. I'm not sure what the pink is about (sorry, didn't get a photo), but after 8 hours of cooking, I'm sure it wasn't mid-rare ;)

From the rest of the flat, we made smoked brisket enchiladas with home made quick mole sauce... boy were those tasty!

DB that does seem proetty fast for a 15 lb brisket. Did you cook the brisket on the middle rack or on the top? The dome temp may actually be hotter than the mid barrel temp. In any case it is hard to argue with the results - great looking brisket there! When life hands you shorter cook times, eat sooner...

Regards,

John

Last edited:
Thanks John.

We made brisket enchiladas with home made quick mole, and used the last of the brisket this morning in a chopped brisket breakfast scramble.

To be honest, though we aim for a median temp of 225, our smoke times are usually somewhat less than stated here, sometimes a good bit less. Brian and I have been smoking as a team for over 30 years and have turned out many, many superior to just plain old good meals. But we stopped worrying about the times many years ago. Knowing a specific time from an experienced smoker cook is a great place to start, especially if it's your first time smoking a certain cut, but we rely more on tenderness or temperature with a Thermopen, or both. Considering the factors that affect a smoker (air temp, humidity, amount of coals, temp of the coals, wind, rain, etc., not to mention personal preference), it's pretty hard to replicate EXACTLY what another is doing or has done. It's a lot less stressful and just plain old fun once you have enough confidence to rely on your own judgment. If you're really nervous about a certain cut, DON'T make it for company.

And as far as some who want to know the exact time it will take to smoke something because they have people coming over, that's what appetizers are for, peeps! Let 'em wait until you feel the meat is perfect -- you'll generally get no complaints but rather just compliments and thanks for having them share in your delicious bounty. If not, invite different people next time!

It depends on the meat and fat content. Every brisket or other cut will cook differently. You can plan all you want but the thermometer and the meat will tell you when it's done. It's always worse when it takes too long, hungry people are not happy people. Chips and dip only goes so far...

Back