Brussel Sprouts Question

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I've seen them cooked many times here, wanted to give it a shot with tonight's cook. Do you have to pre-cook them before putting them on the grill? Marinade them? Seasoning? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Chuck, you first want to trim the stem a bit and make a shallow x in the stem. Don't cut the stem off all the way or they will fall apart. Then give them a parboil for 5 mins no longer, drain then toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, maybe a bit of onion and/or garlic powder. Grill them for about 10 mins, turning every few minutes so they don't char. To make sure they are done you could stick the tip of a sharp knife and if it goes thru easily, they're good to go. After they are done you can always toss them with more seasoning.

We love roasted brussels sprouts, and making them on the grill is a snap.

We wash them and cut off the stem, then cut them in half, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and spread out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast at high heat, but without direct heat, until fork tender. There should be a fair amount of carmelization, which just adds to the flavor!

For a special treat, toss with just a trace of really good balsamic vinegar.

I usually get the frozen ones. If using fresh, parboil them. My favorite way to cook them is to chop up about 4 strips of bacon and fry it up, remove bacon and saute thee sprouts in the bacon grease and when they are done add the bacon bacon back in.

Thanks everyone, going to give them a 5 min parboil (that was my biggest concern) season as suggested looking for that carmelization. Pics to follow (unless I really flub) :)

I'm with DB...I've done them dozens of times, and never parboiled.
The only got a couple minutes in the parboil, and I think it was a good thing. They were good, there's room to improve, but I was happy for my first time

E4E8D21F-4443-48E5-9985-56F09D409C9C_zpsuntmvurd.jpg

4DBF956A-4548-4E90-A6F3-10C30F59589F_zpse3gkqfqa.jpg

Thanks again for the help

Look good. I have always split them in half. Gives it more room to char and more places for the bacon fat and basalmic to seep in.

ChuchO

Brussel sprouts on their own are ok but if you start with bacon add mushrooms.. onion...whole garlic cloves .. they taste much better.

IMG_1120_zps53d7ca36.jpg

Stove version that i moved to the grill = tasty

I like to throw the La Plancha on the grill, cook up some bacon and then roast the brussels sprouts in the bacon fat. Everything tastes better in bacon fat. And I do par cook them for 5-7 minutes before grilling.

I've done them many ways but don't forget to sprinkle some cheese on top when done!! Outstanding and just have fun trying different ways.

We love roasted brussels sprouts, and making them on the grill is a snap.

We wash them and cut off the stem, then cut them in half, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and spread out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast at high heat, but without direct heat, until fork tender. There should be a fair amount of carmelization, which just adds to the flavor!

For a special treat, toss with just a trace of really good balsamic vinegar.

This is my method, I put the balsamic vinegar on before the roasting is done.

Great looking corn and chicken. Why anyone would buy Brussels sprouts, those nasty tiny heads of cabbage I was forced to eat for a month in boot camp, is beside me.

Back