Multi-meat Cook Time

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I'm cooking for a baby shower that's starting at 3:00 PM Saturday. I've got a 15# packer (probably about 13# after trimming, seems to have a lot of hard fat) in the fridge and I'm getting two ~9# butts. Going to cook the brisket on top because some of the guests have digestive issues related to pork fat.

I'm aiming to have the food done and resting by noon Saturday, but I've never done a L&S cook with two different meats. I did an equivalent amount of meat (4x 9# butts) and that took about 16 hours. Is it reasonable to expect the same approximate cook time? If so, I'll get them on about 8:00 Friday night. Or, would I be better off starting them earlier, like 6:00? When I did the 4-butt cook, I had to add charcoal after about 10 hours, but I'm OK with getting up between 4-6 AM to refuel. FWIW, I'm planning to cook them with my ATC set to 250; when I did the 4 butts, I had it set to 240.

I'm cooking for a baby shower that's starting at 3:00 PM Saturday. I've got a 15# packer (probably about 13# after trimming, seems to have a lot of hard fat) in the fridge and I'm getting two ~9# butts. Going to cook the brisket on top because some of the guests have digestive issues related to pork fat.

I'm aiming to have the food done and resting by noon Saturday, but I've never done a L&S cook with two different meats. I did an equivalent amount of meat (4x 9# butts) and that took about 16 hours. Is it reasonable to expect the same approximate cook time? If so, I'll get them on about 8:00 Friday night. Or, would I be better off starting them earlier, like 6:00? When I did the 4-butt cook, I had to add charcoal after about 10 hours, but I'm OK with getting up between 4-6 AM to refuel. FWIW, I'm planning to cook them with my ATC set to 250; when I did the 4 butts, I had it set to 240.

Different meats don't matter. Should run similar to your 4 butt smoke. Good thing about cooking brisket and butts is that both will be fine if you finish early. Actually, you want to finish early. Give the butts time to rest and cool down a bit before pulling, and let the brisket have a nice long rest before slicing.

Last edited:

Back