18" or 22" WSM?

Besides the family of six, how often do you cook for a larger crowd and how often? I think that would be the deciding factor.

I have a family of 3 and think the 18.5 is more then enough space.... With 6 I would be leaning towards the 22 but I do not have personal experience with the 22.

The WSM is THE way to go... Give it a couple cooks to figure out your cooker and you will love it. I wouldn't trade my WSM for any other cooker.

I have a 22" and a 14.5".
I use the 22" when I cook for gatherings at my house with more than a few other people.
I use the 14.5" when it's just for my family of 3.

Get the 22".

I do not have a 22, but from what I've read it uses a lot of charcoal. I've had an 18 for over ten years and had no problem cooking for gatherings larger than 10. I've got no desire to step up to a 22, mainly because I haven't really had a need for more space, so I would probably use more charcoal cooking the same amount of food. How much food are we talking about here when you cook for 10 Eric?

Also, as an FYI, did you see my post about an 18 marked down at Walmart?

I don't cook leftovers for 10, just enough for a weekend meal. The charcoal consumption is a concern.

I saw the post about the Wal-Mart in Hurstbourne. Thanks! That is why I posed the 18 vs 22 question.

You can cook a lot of food on the 18.5 and it will use a lot less charcoal. On the 18.5 you can cook 6 butts at once or 10 racks of ribs if you hang them. Plus the 18.5 is on sale now for $199 at some Walmarts.

I've had an 18 for a good long time. The only food item I have an issue with, is ribs. They just don't fit very well, even with a rib rack. If i were to go out and buy a new WSM, I would definitely get the 22.

I cook for 4 a lot on my OTG 22 and when youre trying to cook indirect you run out of real estate fast. with a fam of 6 id go the 22 no doubt. I think youd find the 18 to be tiny.

I've had an 18 for a good long time. The only food item I have an issue with, is ribs. They just don't fit very well, even with a rib rack. If i were to go out and buy a new WSM, I would definitely get the 22.

I agree completely. I also have problems with briskets over say 11 pounds.

Back