Help! I need more charcoal clearance on my 14 WSM

Travis Rose

I am a new owner of a 14 WSM and I find that when I load it up with charcoal and wood, the bottom of the water pan is hitting the top of my fuel pile. So I then have to remove some charcoal and/or wood. I see that there are mods for 18 WSM, but what about a 14 WSM?
I really need some advice before this holiday weekend. Thanks

Have you considered going without the water pan?, seems like a popular technique, I got an 18 and don't use the pan for any cooks. just my 2cents.

Have you considered going without the water pan?, seems like a popular technique, I got an 18 and don't use the pan for any cooks. just my 2cents.

I have thought about it. But doesn't it make a difference when you are cooking something low and slow for a long period of time, such as pork butt?

I had the same issue with my 18.5. I replaced the water pan with a 14 inch clay saucer. It works great. You would probably need a 12 inch.

I would like to find a replacement pan that is shallower but holds more than the factory one. Best of both worlds then.

Some people replaced it with a Brinkman waterpan. I don't know much about it but I'm sure you can search the forums.

I replaced the waterpan with a 3/16" metal disk with a 1" rim. I cover it with aluminum foil that I replace after every cook. Requires welding/fabricating. It works great! Tons of room & ez access to the coal ring. Haven't used water in the smokers for eons.

fwiw - a few pix of the rimmed plate/diffuser.

PICT0811_zpsozkgm7tn.jpg~320x480

PICT0813_zpsc5qjjxud.jpg~320x480

PICT0818_zpslqhwxmz5.jpg~320x480

Most times (can't remember when I have)... I do not use the bottom grate.
If necessary, & if I needed the stock room at the lower level... the "z" brackets on the diffuser allow it to hook the stock clips in the cooking chamber.
Of coarse, that's a trade-off: less free access to the charcoal ring.

PICT0822_zpsgizwol54.jpg~320x480

Last edited:
Are you using the bottom grate? If not why not simply remove it and flip the water pan over. Of course, this assumes you don't use water.

Are you using the bottom grate? If not why not simply remove it and flip the water pan over. Of course, this assumes you don't use water.

I never use water. Using a flipped a flipped water pan? I never though of that. Good idea. However, if you want to collect the drippings from the meat - that could be difficult.

I use the bottom grate mainly as a fail-safe when hanging meat. Useful for keeping things from going cave man.

One of the benefits of the metal plate/diffuser is that it functions as a heat sink. Helps regulate temps, imho.

My water pan is now history after receiving this terracotta pizza plate. (11.5"/29cm). (14.5" WSM).

It is a PERFECT fit!
2vknqsi.jpg

Lots more clearance. Charcoal ring is much easier to access for adding coals or wood, or even get in there and give it a shake.
n62kbl.jpg

Not so much clearance.
29y09qu.jpg

Foiled.
f9oxhh.jpg

Gonna give it a trial run this weekend. Beef ribs.

Last edited:
I had the problem when I first used my 14" of not being be able to get it up to temp (250). I saw how close the water pan set to the charcoal and I figured that had something to do with it. Being on it's just me and the wife, meaning I only use the top grate, I put the water pan on top of the lower grate. Problem solved. Yesterday I cooked a rack of ribs and and the temp stayed at 250 for the whole cook. 2 hrs. later (8 hrs. total) the gauge was reading 200.

Back