Thermocouple questions

Chris.M

Thermocouple questions (trying to use 2)

This may be more relevant to the Heatermeter board guys, but it isn't using that software so I figured I'd start here.

I am trying to use 2 thermocouples and am at my wits end trying to understand all of the things that can go wrong. If it matters, TC-K3MM and WRNK-171S from Auber Instruments. Max31855 analog to digital converter.

I believe the smoker probe is ungrounded, but the pointed one for meat is grounded. I do know that if the meat probe wire braiding touches the metal smoker, it will not return a valid value.

I thought it was as simple as keep that one from touching metal and keep the wire braids from touching each other, both of those will ruin my readings. However even with that, it seems that once the meat has started cooking, I'm still introducing some kind of loop. I guess meat->cast iron->other probe.

I tested my concern and put both of tips of the thermocouples in a bowl of water. Apart they read fine, but I often get both results messed up if they are both inserted in the same bowl at the same time.

Do I need to buy more expensive probes? Give up altogether? I wouldn't mind drilling a hole in my smoker for the probe, but I can't think of a way to isolate it from the metal, it's not like a rubber grommet is an option.

Last edited:

Back