Just bought a Jumbo Joe

Lew

TVWBB All-Star
I've bought and sold so many Weber grills and smokers that I've lost count. I was addicted, once having 11. Except for my Genesis, I always bought used, and probably made as much as I spent, but I had to get a grip so I settled on 3 (Genesis, Performer, WSM) and got on the wagon.

Yesterday, I bought a JJ. We're spending the 4th at a family member's cabin and I will be doing all the cooking as usual. I know he doesn't have a decent grill and is usually out of gas, so I bought the JJ to take with me. Cooking out is an important element of a successful 4th of July weekend and I obviously need something decent to cook on, so it doesn't count as falling off the wagon, does it?

I obviously need something decent to cook on, so it doesn't count as falling off the wagon, does it?
You have to get on the wagon in order to fall off LOL The JJ is a mighty fine BBQ. Use the charcoal grate out of a SJ to lower the charcoal in your JJ

You have to get on the wagon in order to fall off LOL The JJ is a mighty fine BBQ. Use the charcoal grate out of a SJ to lower the charcoal in your JJ

How much space does that buy you? I know that OOTB, the JJ has about 3.5 (or maybe it's 3.75) inches of space between the two grates, while the full-size kettles have about 5". I'm not planning on any long cooks, so I'm not sure I'll need the extra room. I am, however, planning to use one of the char-baskets from my OTG in there...will that fit with the stock JJ grate?

How much space does that buy you
I'm not sure the exact amount, it wasn't my JJ, but I had the duty to cook. When I started the cook, I thought (I should increase the distance) so I put in my charcoal grate out of my SJ. The difference was enough for it to stick out in my mind when seeing this post

I am, however, planning to use one of the char-baskets from my OTG in there...will that fit with the stock JJ grate?
I don't know or even have a clue, maybe someone else will

Won't that concentrate the heat in the center?
For the cook I did (chicken thighs) it didn't matter, I wanted a direct cook. You can still do an indirect cook on the smaller charcoal grate. My comment was just a suggestion, use your JJ as you see fit

The baskets fit the Jumbo Joe just fine.

Also, two panels of my Grill Grates fit well. I flip the Grill Grates and use it like a griddle. I dump a full lit Chimney of charcoal spread evenly, put the Grill Grate panels on top of the food grate (flat side up), pre-heat the griddle five minutes with lid on, then clean and oil the griddle. Then, you get a GREAT crust on burgers. You can't beat it!

I often use my Jumbo Joe at home as it is so handy and efficient. It's a really great grill that belies it's low price (I got mine at a end of season sale from Target for $30.00 and that just made it all the better:eek:)

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

The Jumbo Joe is looking pretty good to me as something to use while I decide if it's possible for me to fix my Genesis 1000. I wish they'd made the dome a couple of inches higher, though. I'm missing the grillin' season. I can't sous vide everything!

The Jumbo Joe is looking pretty good to me as something to use while I decide if it's possible for me to fix my Genesis 1000. I wish they'd made the dome a couple of inches higher, though. I'm missing the grillin' season. I can't sous vide everything!

Check your local target stores and see if you can grab a 22" OTS for $50

Hmmm, thought there was a thread here about this deal, but I can't seem to find it. Well, here's a C/P of the deal from over at WKC

ckf said:
If anyone is in the market for a kettle, they are clearance at target right now. Here's how to check your local target price and inventory.

Go to http://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker
Enter your zip code and for dcpi enter 009-07-0416

I just got back from Target and the BBQ section was pretty bare. They had a Stok and other brands I wouldn't want. They had some boxes of Jumbo Joe's but they are holding those over till next year, not going on sale I was told.
Check your local target stores and see if you can grab a 22" OTS for $50

Hmmm, thought there was a thread here about this deal, but I can't seem to find it. Well, here's a C/P of the deal from over at WKC

I just got back from Target and the BBQ section was pretty bare. They had a Stok and other brands I wouldn't want. They had some boxes of Jumbo Joe's but they are holding those over till next year, not going on sale I was told.

I guess it's possible that Target has changed the way they do things, but I doubt it. Jumbo Joe's are seasonal items. Warehouse space is too precious and costly for Target to hold an item for 8-10 months before it's put back out next season.

I saw 2 Jumbo Joes and 4 18" hinged grills at my local Target. I'm hoping they start discounting the grill stuff soon. Most of the furniture looks like it's on 30% off right now. My Jumbo Joe needs a new grill.

Back