Is there a third model of the smokey joe?

J Tonelli

Hello, I'm interested in the conversion, but my smokey joe is about 13 years old and I'm not sure which model I have. It's definitely not the gold. Possibly the silver, but was there a standard? My cooking grate measures a little more than 13.5" and the grill measures 14" wide overall. Does anyone know if this one is a candidate for the mod? Cand get my hands on the 32qt imusa pot locally for a size check. If anyone has the with of the pot handy that would be a big help. Thanks all. Jim

The Silver has one vent on the bottom of the bowl. Its the standard most common smokey joe.

The gold has two vents on the sides of the bowl and a lid bale that "locks" the lid to the bowl in transit.

Many folks prefer the gold but many use the silver and get along just fine. The silver can have some issues with ash clogging but there are work arounds.

You should be fine. Especially if you attach the lid from the pot to the bottom of the pot.

8635426567_8956542ea5_z.jpg

8636532240_1c011bcde7_z.jpg

The Silver has one vent on the bottom of the bowl. Its the standard most common smokey joe.

The gold has two vents on the sides of the bowl and a lid bale that "locks" the lid to the bowl in transit.

Many folks prefer the gold but many use the silver and get along just fine. The silver can have some issues with ash clogging but there are work arounds.
There is also the "old Silver" or 3-wheel model, the original SJ had 3 vents on the bottom and legs made of round stock. @Harbormaster tells us that the grates are SLIGHTLY different in size from the regular Silver

Glad I peeked in at this thread.

Here's what I have found for sure: If it is the old style 3 wheel Smoke Joe, AND it has grate brackets inside like the full size kettles, the cooking grate is a little smaller. If it is a 3 wheel Smokey Joe, but does NOT have grate brackets, the cooking grate is the same size as the modern SJ cooking grate.
I can only say with certainty that the "A" Smokey Joe cooking grate is smaller. I do not know when they did away with the grate brackets. Maybe some "B" and later SJ owners can chime in?

Back