Homebrew

tony j

I figure if we all like to cook, there's gotta be some homebrewers out there! What kinda homebrew goes best with BBQ? I like to brew witbier and Foster's style australian lager. My last brew was a doppelweizen that went all band-aidy, but good news, after 9 mos in the keg the band aid went away and left me with a nice malty, almost barleywine still ale.

Lets hear from the homebrewer bbq'ers!

I brewed my own twice. The first batch turned out really good, the second batch half the bottles exploded and the rest of the bottles just bubbled out like they were shaken. I got discouraged and haven't touched my equipment in about 7 years. I need break my stuff out and try again one of there days.

I used to live with a guy in college that brewed his own. He drank a bottle of it and one of his pupils dilated and the other one got smaller... He sat in the corner laughing for a few hours. The rest of the batch went down the drain. No joke. I leave fermentation to the pros for now but might one day consider a foray into it.

Near where I live, there is a "homebrew" place. I use the term loosely, for wine you have to order and leave a deposit, and beer, you just show up to bottle it. All the work is done except for the bottling. It is about half the price of The Beer Store though, and tastes pretty good, so I started to go there for my beer and wine needs.

I just had some of my nut brown ale with country style ribs last night. That ended up being a good pairing. Big and malty with IBU's around 32. A robust porter stands up nicely to brisket. I've got a citrusy American wheat that goes well with any poultry. IBU's in the high teens and all Cascades for the hops. Kolsch also goes nicely with poultry and any seafood, especially when it's made with White Labs yeast. It leaves an almost dry, wine type of finish.

I like to make anything that doesn't need to be refrigerated during fermentation. I generally make stouts, porters, belgian ales, and amercian strong ales. I sometimes make saisons or wheat beers for summer. Craziest one was a chipotle porter.

I too partake in both of these evil backyard habits.

Most of the beef/pork Q pairings I've seen recommend a porter, or a hoppy APA/IPA for fish/fowl.

It's getting to be that there are as many distinct ale/lager styles as wine styles, and the good news is that most of them go well with BBQ.

Back