Building shelter for my WSM

Christopher H

TVWBB Fan
So my parents are replacing a ton of boards in their deck. My dad was just going to discard the 26 year old cedar but then I thought I could build a small smoker shelter with the wood.

I have seen a few on virtualweberbullet.com my question is, have any of you built any? If so, what type of base did you use? Wood, metal, etc.? I wasn't sure if I wanted to build with a door or build in 3 separate pieces (legs and base with 24" tall walls, another 24" wall section and then a roof section all held together with some pegs or something along the line. I guess I am going to start researching different designs. My goal is to use this when I do winter smokes to block the wind and insulate the smoker from the elements.

Any pics, experience, designs, etc. that you can share would be awesome! Once I decide on a design and start planning I will post pics of the progress of the build.

Your project sounds cool. Love the idea of the reclaimed cedar. Bet you can make a cool little rustic smokeshack.
I will offer one suggestion. When I made my WSM cart I started out with a wood bottom. (Pallet wood) but after using the smoker twice and dropping hot coals on the base from the chimney starter , I covered the base with sheet aluminum. Much safer.

Your project sounds cool. Love the idea of the reclaimed cedar. Bet you can make a cool little rustic smokeshack.
I will offer one suggestion. When I made my WSM cart I started out with a wood bottom. (Pallet wood) but after using the smoker twice and dropping hot coals on the base from the chimney starter , I covered the base with sheet aluminum. Much safer.

Awesome! I saw on google images what looked like aluminum. I bet I could find that at Home Depot or Lowes and have them cut to my specs. It will be a cool project for my dad and I. Going over there to talk plans this evening.

Awesome! I saw on google images what looked like aluminum. I bet I could find that at Home Depot or Lowes and have them cut to my specs. It will be a cool project for my dad and I. Going over there to talk plans this evening.
I saw one table on the forum where they had the smoker sitting in a metal water heater pan....I bet you could adapt that to your plan. . Post some pics when you get going. I'll be curious to see the results..EDIT: the aluminum I used was actually roof flashing. :cool:

Last edited:
Hi Christopher,

I have build this one for my WSM 18.5", it works great and I have storage for wood chunks and coal :) . Would like to have a cover above the table and the smoker, but that must be in the next edition :)

I used white wood to build mine and then painted it with waterproof paint.

image8_zpsr02btgsn.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

image1_zpsayc3vnyn.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I know J Mac has built one as well.

This thread has inspired me to build a shelter of my own. I've liberally stolen from Mr. Sfreiesleben's pictures with some modifications.

I plan to leave the left side open so I can take the smoker in and out from the front as opposed to lifting it up out of the shelter. And I don't know what I will use for the top.

Suggestions are more than encouraged.

Last edited:
The frame is completed.

Still trying to decide what to make the walls and table top out of.

Last edited:
The frame is completed.

Still trying to decide what to make the walls and table top out of.
Maybe if someone has discarded/updated their kitchen counter, if it's deep enough for your unit, just cut to length for the top. Local "donation" centre might have something like that.

Contact a stone yard or cabinet maker and see if they have a remnant you like. They can sell cheap and cut for you.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldtemp.html

This page off the main website has some good examples. I built one from 2" square pvc material and used the fiberglass shower panels for the sheeting. Design mimiced the metal enclosure in the article.

Hi Paul - do you have pictures of your build? I might build a second one for a backup wsm plus my composite deck spindles are sagging pretty good...Too many hot cooks I think and also from a super hot grease fire a couple years ago. Metal enclosure still works but I'm interested in your lighter weight design!

Todd

Done.

Okay, 99% done. a black bottle opener is en route; I bought a silver one but it doesn't match the aesthetics.

A newborn niece has disrupted my plans! It's definitely a good disruption to have. Project won't start until August now at the earliest.

Man , that looks great. Boy that looks like all brand new lumber. Did you run the used boards thru a planer? Anyway it came out great. You can be proud of that.

It is brand new lumber. Christopher H is the person looking to repurpose.

Thank you for the complement.

Looks like I am going brand new now - not repurposing. The old cedar was 27 years old now and there wasn't enough left that didn't get some good rot to it.

Back