Probes

I believe the ET-733 probes are the same as the ET-732 probes, but I haven't heard of anyone trying either of them. I think the go-to probes are the Thermoworks Pro-Series ones now, for their high quality and reliability.

Yah, I was gonna say the same thing... I have enough dead Maverick probes laying around to recycle and get a couple bucks... lol
I've never heard of anyone using the 733 or 735 either, and personally I have moved on from Maverick and use the Thermoworks Pro probes instead because they are much more water resistant and durable, they last me 3-5 times as long as the Maverick probes...

No the Thermoworks Pro-Series will not work on an ET-732 (guaranteed to not). Thermoworks Pro-Series work with HeaterMeter or the Thermoworks Chef Alarm or Thermoworks DOT. ET-732 probes also work with HeaterMeter so therefore ET-733 should as well.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I nearly pulled the trigger yesterday on the Maverick et-72 high heat probes. I see thermoworks has their straight needle probes on sale. How good are these? My only concern is they may be a little short. Also, does anyone use these ones to grill? They have silicone wire jacket instead of stainless.

The needle probes are nice, the silicone wire jacket is waterproof and can handle about the same heat as the probe itself. I find the length just fine, have actually come to prefer the shorter cables because long cable just get twisted up easier.
I have had one TW needle probe where the silicone jacket pulled out of the little bulb they have at the end of the probe (exposing the wires inside), so don't tug on it.... That probe is still working though, through rain and all. I just kinda shoved it back in there. This was the older style without the strain relief, the newer style has the strain relief coil so it might hold together a bit better, IDK.
Which reminds me, I need to order a couple of the new style TW Pro probes to test with the latest RDTC board to make sure the plugs fit the jack spacing...

EDIT: Just back from the Thermoworks site... It looks like the needle probes they have on the half off deal are the old style without the strain relief. I see three new style probes but none of them are the thin needle style. So be careful when cleaning etc, don't tug on the cable and you should be very happy with the probe. You really can't beat that deal at $8 for a completely waterproof probe...

Last edited:
I ordered two of the thermoworks needle probes, thanks for the input. How about when it comes to thermocouples? Can someone point me to one on Amazon they have had success with? Also, I assume it's ok to order longer than needed and then cut to length and terminate to a miniature connector correct? Oh and why are the K mini connectors so expensive? I'm seeing like 5$ for one on Amazon, it doesn't seem like there is much to it. Thanks again!

Yah, to be clear, what I see pictured on that link has round pins on the plug, while the HM has the flat blade style pins... So you would have to change that plug before you could use it...

I did notice that too. Some of the plugs look like they are round, but sometimes its hard to tell from the pictures. Any recommendations on a good k type probe on amazon? Are people normally getting the stainless ones or just the simple cheap wire ones? Also, I assume no issue with shortening the wires if needed. Thanks!

You know, I think it has to come down to trial and error at this point... There are TONS of type K thermocouples available at ridiculously low prices, it's things like the temperature range, resistance to moisture, high temperature leads etc that make the difference in price.

Regardless, you want to get one with the mini thermocouple flat blade type connectors, or plan on buying that connector separate, which is never really a winning deal because shipping for one connector will kill the bottom line price.

I bought two thermocouples to start out....

First one is a long needle probe from Thermoworks that is completely moisture and steam proof and can handle over 2000F on the probe. The negative is it was maybe $36? IDK, expensive for a probe... Also, though the cable is completely water/steam proof, it's temperature rating is rather low, so the cable needs to remain outside of the pit.

Second one was a very cheap type K pit probe sort of thing, short thick unit that you would poke through a hood like the hood thermometer. The thing I paid most attention to when selecting the cheap probe was whether it was an isolated or grounded type probe. There had been lots of reports of thermocouples acting strange when touching the grill, or when you touch them while barefoot etc... Problems that seem to occur with grounded type thermocouples. I have always used isolated type thermocouples and have never had any issues so I stick with that. In each case, both Thermoworks and the Amazon seller, I had to ask the question "Isolated or Grounded?"... TW's was quick to answer and so was one Amazon retailer, I bought one from each.

They both kinda work the same, perfect.

The Amazon one did have loose screws on the connector which was puzzling until I opened it up and tightened them, it worked just fine after that......

The thermoworks probe has been my work horse... From the day I plugged it in it has been outside in the weather.... So far through summer, a rough winter, spring and now summer again outside unprotected and NEVER missed a beat. The probe is a long thin bendable needle, so I can stick it in the top vent, or in at grill level and it doesn't interfere with the lid closing/sealing. I have had my "fauxmado" over 900F and it was no problem for this probe, even a huge temperature blume wouldn't top the 2000F limit. I am actively trying to kill this probe! LOL I have bent it this way and that, still going strong....

Mainly due to the fact that I like the thermoworks probe so much and I can't seem to kill it I haven't really been able to put the cheapo probe through the paces yet....

They look round but are only slightly curved, they work for me :)
It's funny that somehow it is cheaper to buy a whole probe and throw everything away except the connector.

I use the thermocouple from Auber with the alligator clip on it and I just bought two more for two more green eggs. It is the same on they sell with their HeaterMeter unit. I clip it to the existing dome thermometer stem and run the cable around in the rim of the lid. It's been in there since Dec 2013 and still works as good as the day I installed it.

Speaking of probes, my new style Thermoworks Pro probes came today...
I was wrong about the needle probes, they are A new style that is on sale for $8, the plastic bead is MUCH longer on the needle probes I received today than the originals. Which is a good thing, because last night I did not heed my own warnings and pulled the old needle probe out of a roast by the cable (the same probe I had pulled the silicone sheath loose on before) and the sheath pulled out again and this time I think I pulled the thermistor right out of the needle! DOH! It was hot so I just dropped it and laughed, "Another one bites the dust!".... Funny thing is its still working today but I don't think it would survive long in a grill like that, but I will try to push the guts back into the needle for the hell of it.... I'm hoping the new longer bead is going to grip that silicone sheathe a bit better, but it least it gives you more to grab onto....
I also got a couple of the new style high temp penetration probes with the spring strain relief. I am glad to report that two of them fit side by side in the food probe jacks on the RDTCv6.2 without issue....

Back