Alternative to C.B. stacker

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Been looking at the cajun bandit stacker for my WSM 18" but it's not sold here and to buy it and get it here is prohibitively expensive.

Noting that it's made out of stainless steel, I was wondering about a D.I.Y. one made out of aluminum furnace duct. I've got a large sheet (unused so pristine) that I could easily roll into a tube to fit on top of the WSM but I'm concerned about long term use with (acidic?) reactive gases produced when burning briqs and charcoal.

The heat would not be that great (the usual 225-275o) but I'm more concerned with the gases produced when smoking reacting with the metal. I don't think it's galvanized (that topic has been thoroughly discussed on this site in the past) and I'm not concerned about that in any case.

I can't find any info online about using ducting to extend the barrel height so if anyone here has insights.........

p.s. I'm not planning on putting racks inside it. Rather, some sort of top rack so that I can hang longish racks of ribs from hooks rather than coiling them. Full size 3 lb loin racks are much more common here than the 1-2 lb baby backs so hanging seems much easier.

i found a link that gave me this idea. It also discusses pros and cons (although the cons relate more to the galvanized aspect which my metal is not):

http://m.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Barbecue-Smoker-for-9/

I am looking to build something a third that size. Here's a pic from that link
FC4E94FFDTDO5OP.LARGE.jpg

Last edited:
Aluminum would work, I think. Folks cook with aluminum all the time.

The biggest problem (outside of making the stacker) are the bead rolled ends.
They are a bit of a challenge.

I made a stacker for my 14.5 because there are none available after market (that I know of).
The metal costs very little, but you do need to weld.
This is what I did: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?57121-Made-a-Stacker-amp-Hanging-Rack-for-the-14-5

fwiw - maybe you can find a used ProQ stacker on CL. I think that they don't make them anymore.

Back