Maverick ET73 or iGrill2

BrianM

Does anyone have experience of both?

I've found a few favourable reviews of the ET733 but not much on the iGrill2

Last edited:
I use the Maverick ET733 and really like it but can't do a comparison since it's the only one I have.

I had the iGrill2 for a week then returned it. It was painful to sync with my Android devices. 1 of the probes were a dud. When it worked, it looked cool. Temperature was off by 2 degree from my Thermapen. Got the Maverick ET733 after. Works great! Long wireless range.

Does anyone have experience of both?

I've found a few favourable reviews of the ET73 but not much on the iGrill2

i have the 73 and it works great. occasionally loses it's signal briefly, but generally I can sit in my living room and monitor the temp. well worth it. can't speak to the igrill2

Hi, i have an iGrill mini for one week... Works great with an ipad and an iphone 5s... Easy to use. I think it will the same for an iGrill2.
But if you don't need a bluetooth connection to an iPad or an iphone I think you'd better take the ET733, wich seem very professional...

Hi, i have an iGrill mini for one week... Works great with an ipad and an iphone 5s... Easy to use. I think it will the same for an iGrill2.
But if you don't need a bluetooth connection to an iPad or an iphone I think you'd better take the ET733, wich seem very professional...

Thanks, what's the range like? Would it work indoors?

I Have the ET73 it has served me well....highly recommend I have a 2 story house and the smoker on the back of the house i can walk through out the house even to my neighbors garage hes about 200ft away from my smoker and not loose connectivity.

Last edited:
I use the Maverick ET733 and really like it but can't do a comparison since it's the only one I have.

Do you use the Maverick with the lid on or off? I just bought a Brookstone Grill Alert which goes crazy with the lid on. Tells me the meat is done in ~10 minutes.

Do you use the Maverick with the lid on or off? I just bought a Brookstone Grill Alert which goes crazy with the lid on. Tells me the meat is done in ~10 minutes.

Lid on. It may be that part of the probe is exposed and picking up the grill temp instead of the meat temp.

I own an Igrill 2 that I love. I just thought it would be the perfect thermometer for me considering how much I use my smartphone. I've never had the app crash or go nuts or anything on me. In regards to range, personally I'm not one to wander that far from my pit anyway, so I'm fine with what I get. I can keep a signal to the bedroom of my house, but if I'm cooking something for a long time low and slow, I'm just gonna take a nap on the couch anyway, so the range is good for my expectations. I also bought mine marked down a good bit from MSRP, which makes me like it even more.

I tried putting the probe all the way into the meat, but there was no change. Then tried putting the probe through the vent at the top of the kettle, but there was no change. Now I'm starting to wonder if I have a defective unit.

I have the Igrill2 and was having some connectivity issues where it would just disconnect. I contacted their customer service and they sent me a replacement. It works great.

I have a 733 and could not be happier. I have never used an Igrill but I will not buy anything else until my 733 dies. It has great battery life I have never had wireless connection issues. I did destroy a probe by trying to yank it out of a brisket by the wire (really stupid) but besides that I would fully recommend.

features I wish the 733 had:
I would love to be able to chart temps which the 733. After a long cook see a chart of how fast the meat temp went up. See how long the stall took etc.

I would also love to be able to monitor my temps by iphone. I like to fire up my cooker and go to church for an hour on sundays and I would love to be able to check an app and see the temps. As I understand it most units using a phone app are connected by Bluetooth so I would not be able to connect away from the house anyways.

So far so good for me with the igrill2. I've had it for a couple months now with two meat probes. I need to order the ambient temp probe still, meat probes don't seem to work as ambient temp probes accurately or consistently. But I do get decent range at my house, 50 feet or so, and it connects instantly on iOS. Only issue I have is emailing myself the .csv file after the cook doesn't work. I haven't really tried to figure that out tho just yet. The graphs are real cool tho. I like the data.

I need to order the ambient temp probe still, meat probes don't seem to work as ambient temp probes accurately or consistently.
My iGrill2 is the one that they sold at Sam's - 4 meat probes and no ambient probe {Doesn't AMBIENT temp mean the outside temp??} since I only have meat probes I put one in a clip and used it to monitor the grate temp. another I put in the Akorn's top vent to monitor the exit gas temp (just for the H of it) :wsm22:

Ambient refers just to air temperate, in this case the air inside the smoker. It appears to be a slightly different design. Do you get consistent readings using a meat probe for the ambient temp in the cooker? Sometimes I'm as much as 30 degrees low in relation to my 4" temp gauge installed in the cooker. Other time the two match up more closely.

It would be worth it to test the probes side by side. Usually when I'm warming up my smoker I have the ambient probe plugged in and the food probe just sitting on the grate. They are usually pretty damn close considering. Usually 5 to 10 degrees. If I used a clip for the food probe, I wonder how close it would be. I have an et-732 and an igrill2. They both have advantages/disadvantages. I think I trust the ET-732 more because I have lost blue tooth on the Igrill 2 and missed the temp I was going to butcher paper wrap my brisket by about 5 degrees. Not exactly a disaster but I was ****ed. I like the Igrill2 because of the features.

Back