New here, first cook, advice, etc.

Scot H

I've been reading and learning, finally picked up a WSM 18.5 on craigslist last week, new, unused. Want to do my first run this weekend with a little extra time to play.

Here are starting thoughts, all suggestions and comments welcome.

I have a pork butt - 7.5 lbs, bone-in. From my reading - I expect it to take 10 - 14 hours to cook @ 225 - 250.
I also have a 2.5 lb piece of salmon - no skin (warehouse club).

I think I will plan to cook all day Monday. I'd kind of like to watch temps, etc during the day for my first cook, and a little nervous to let first cook be while I am asleep overnight!

Tonight - prep the WSM - load the charcoal ring with Kingsford and a few wood chips. Prep the chimney starter with paper and charcoal - (20 briquettes?), so I just light it first thing in the morning. Line the water bowl with foil.

Monday - first thing - light the chimney starter, get pork butt out of frig. drink coffee.

When charcoal is lit, add to the wsm, add water to the bowl. Put pork butt on top rack.

Try to maintain temp in the 225 - 260 range - check the temp too often, resist temptation to open lid and just look at it.

First temp check @ 8 hours in?

---------------

Now add the salmon to the mix.

Thinking about slicing the salmon into two pieces - 1.5 lbs and 1.0 lb. Cook the 1.5 as directed for the salmon / brown sugar rub, and the 1.0 as brined, appetizer style.

This way - I can count on salmon for dinner with much shorter cooking time, and have the pork for Tuesday night and leftovers (or to share).

------------------

Questions -

Does this all make sense?

Too much to try for first cook?

How adapt salmon since no skin?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Scot

Make notes for yourself with as much detail as you can. Chris has a great cookiong log under cooking topics on the home page that you can download or use as a reference to make your own log. As for your cook, I think your plan for the pork butt sounds about right, but I am fairly new myself and I'm sure some of the more experienced members here will offer their advice. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Taking notes is a very good recommendation.
Include things like the rub, elapsed times, qty of charcoal, meat and cooker temps .... You get the idea

Charles hit the nail right on the head. Those Texas guys know what they're talking about.

Pork shoulders are very forgiving, and no matter how many times I've attempted to mess one up, I've never succeeded. Great choice for a first cook. Relax and enjoy!

Scott I'd just do the salmon brown sugar one and save the other one for another day. Doing both is too much and not really needed. If you don't have skin just cure one side. Make sure to put your salmon on aluminum foil on the wsm so the fish doesn't smell up the smoker. I wouldn't worry about seasoning the smoker ahead of time, but you should be aware it will probably burn hot so close your vents early and use the minion method to start it up

From my experience the butt will cook a lot faster in a new WSM as temps will run on the high side. A quality quick read thermometer is the second purchase , then a temp probe . Good luck and have fun. Bbq is kinda of like pizza some are outstanding some are ok, but never had a bad one :wsm:

A quick read Thermometer is a must! A good temp probe aids in perfection. A cooking log is a must when starting out, I would also recommend it.

Thanks to all who responded. I did my first cook yesterday on new non-seasonsed wsm 18.5.

Loaded ring and lighter the night before to have ready to go. Had ring mostly full, and 15 briquettes in Weber chimney starter. Lit them @ 6:45, They were ready, and in the wsm in @ 15 minutes. Added 3 quarts of water, then added 7.5 lb pre-trim, bone-in boston butt using Mr. Brown instructions. Kept temp mostly around 250, though I probably adjusted the bottom vents too often, and had variation from 225-275. First temp (Weber instant read) @8 hours in @ 160.

Decided (thanks for guidance) to only do salmon brown-sugar. Added to bottom rack @ 5:30 - 10 1/2 hours into butt cook.

checked fish @ 7 - was 160 - took off wsm, let it rest - delicous supper (maybe a little over cooked)

Took pork off @ 8pm @ 190. Rested, foiled, pulled late last night. Could not stop having little nibbles after done. Turned out delicous, it's for supper tonight!

I have lots more notes, and probably some follow up questions. But, pretty happy with how things went on first cook.

I am pretty sure I adjusted the bottom vents too often, which resulted in the 225-275 temp variation. I also added some charcoal at @ 10 hours in. Not sure that was really necessary, or just result of my inexperience and load of the ring.

Thanks to all for advice here - looking forward to learning more as I go.

The cooker really will get easier to control as the gunk builds up on the inside.
It sounds to me like you nailed it.

Back