Can I fix this?

ChrisV

TVWBB Fan
I have an SJ Silver :smokeyjoe: and about a year or so ago I converted it into a MiniWSM, In the process, I screwed up the lower vent door. I tried to bend the tabs straight so I could drill a hole through both tabs to run some threaded rod through for an extended handle. Thing is I bent them too much and the "door" no longer has a tight seal to the pan. It still allows air in even with the vent door completely "closed"

I bent them back but the damage was already done. The rivet that holds it on is loose and won't seal closed. Before I did this I could close both top and bottom vents and it would kill the coals and be completely cooled off in ~20 minutes. Now there is no "off" switch. I basically have to dump the still lit coals into the firepit.

Is there a way to fix this or should I just buy a new SJS? If I do buy a new one, any reason to hang on to the old bottom or top? Can they be re-purposed for anything useful?

Thanks!

Good news/Bad/Worse news

Good news = I found that I can get a replacement damper for the lower bowl

Bad news = With shipping the part will cost half of what a complete new SJS would cost.

Worse news = After looking around this morning, you guys have me really wanting a Jumbo Joe!

I just drilled out a vent on my 18.5 WSM that was a leaker and used a bolt and lock washer and nut to reattach it once I bent it to my satisfaction. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks way better than it did.

You under estimate how badly I've mauled this thing up! :D

I'm going to have to drill out the rivet and nut/bolt it back on either way. I could probably spend 20-30 minutes pounding it back into a useable shape but it'll still be ugly and probably still leak some?

I found a place online to get a replacement vent shipped for $12.36. Cost is always relative. One the one hand, what's $12 to fix it right but on the other hand, $12 is a lot when you can buy a new one for $30 or wait for a used one on CL for $20.

Do you really need an "off switch?" The effort to harvest any unused charcoal in a SJ isn't worth the effort, just use it and let it burn it's self out when you're done

Hell, just keep it for parts or a project. Somebody is always coming up with something around here. You might be half way there and not even know it yet

Do you really need an "off switch?"
Yes, I do. Its not about saving the coals. its about shutting it down so I can clean it up and put it away in a timely manner. Wasn't an issue last year when I owned a house (I'd just dump the still hot coals in the firepit) but I'm in an apartment for the time being.

On the flip side, as a "smoker" (MiniWSM) it actually worked a little better. I would just completely close the bottom and control the temps with the top vent.

Hell, just keep it for parts or a project. Somebody is always coming up with something around here. You might be half way there and not even know it yet
Well I won't be throwing it away that's for sure but I can't tell you how much crap I have thinking that "one day" I'll find the perfect use for "it". Usually what happens is I get into a cleaning/purging mood and throw something out only to find a "need" for it within weeks! :mad:

I think I'll be taking a 2 prong approach... 1. drill out the rivet, try my best to reshape it and see how it goes? and 2. Find a deal on a JJ :D

Last edited:
its about shutting it down so I can clean it up and put it away in a timely manner
It's pretty hard to regain that airtight seal to snuff out the flame, once you've got a boogered vent. My guess is your best choice is to dump the lit coals onto an old cookie sheet or something similar, put your lid over it with the vent closed. When it's dead dispose of the ashes as you would had you snuffed it out in the bowl

just some patience and a small rubber mallet. have done several that were really bent. suggestion, get some sharp drill bits. to male a nut tight on a bolt in this case, just damage the bolt threads a but and then jam the nut on.

Back