First Cook: St. Louis Cut Spare Ribs

Dean G.

So I got my 22" WSM yesterday. I gave it a dry run for a few hours to burn off residue, get a feel for temp etc. Today I'm 2 hours in tow a couple of slabs of St. Louis ribs, dry rubbed with my long time recipe. I'm using the Minion Method with applewood chunks but I did expect to run hot based on reading here and elsewhere but surprisingly I've a maintained a consistent 225 to 230 degrees. So far, so good. New to the WSM but not to long smokes. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Sounds great, Dean. Be sure to post some pictures if you have them. Welcome to the wonderful world of smoking with a WSM.

I know they say its best with pictures and I am bad about taking them, but I am getting better. I have owned 4 smokers before my WSM and I will never own anything different unless they but the WSM in a horizontal style and then of course I would have to try it just because its a Weber.....lol......

Here are the ribs. About to head outside and put on a pair of some nice butts for tonight.

11377360_10206880439196063_3458141628389698320_n_zps8ekfemkw.jpg

Thanks y'all. The first weekend with my WSM has been a huge success. I'm really glad I did the ribs Saturday as sort of a dry run though because I learned some things that I needed to know for the longer smoke of the butts.

Adam, I have a couple of rubs I've used for years one is more of rib rub and one is more of a pork butt or loin/chicken rub but I used the pork rub this weekend for both since I actually rubbed at the same time. The rub is basically 1 part kosher salt, 1 part dark brown sugar, 1 part spanish paprika, 1/2 part fresh ground black pepper, 1/2 part garlic powder, 1/2 part onion powder then 1/8 part each dried thyme, ginger, star anise and orange peel. I actually cut the salt in half for the ribs. I let the ribs sit about 3 hours after rubbing and about 20 hours on the butts.

So the cook on the butts went well. They were both just about 8 lbs. I used the Minion Method and applewood chunks. I love the even heat. I was able to lock in to about 232° (just happened to be where it wanted to stay I was going for 225°) for almost the whole cook with two small spikes that I adjusted to quickly. I did hit the stall at about 8 hours and 175° and when I hadn't gotten past it at 9 hours I foiled the butts which I hadn't done on other smokers but I also always ran hotter so I did expect it. I probably would have just let it go but the timing for my guests didn't allow it. With the foiling I hit 205° at 11 1/2 hours. They were perfect. I served them with a cherry cream soda barbecue sauce I made.

150524%20butts1_zpszz26bpa0.jpg

image_zpsiddtg8jv.jpg

pulled%20pork_zpshc4prhyp.jpg

Last edited:

Back