Hello from Long Island

BrianCal

TVWBB Pro
My name is Brian, and I am from Long Island, NY. Specifically, Huntington on the North Shore. I am totally a Weber guy, I have a 2001 Genesis Silver gas grill, a WSM 18 smoker, and a smokey Joe. i used to have a Weber kettle, but am a little embarrassed to say I think I threw it away when I got my gas grill. Just did a huge remodel on my house, and the plans for the backyard include a grilling patio. When that is done, planning to get a 22" Mastertouch, and a Chinese Box. Also planning to get a Genesis EP330, and will give my old Genesis to my mother-in-law. She is using a cheapie CharBroil, that terrifies me every time I watch her use it.

As for foods, I've done a bunch, I guess like everyone here.

My specialties would be smoked salmon (not to brag, ok just a little) but I usually get raves, and have people request it specifically for parties. I also do some great smoked buffalo wings. I've also done the usuals, pulled pork, ribs (ironically, I get better reviews for ribs on my gas grill than in the smoker), cheeses, etc. Smoked a turkey one thanksgiving, didn't love it, but I think I may have over-flavored it by brining it and putting a rub inside the skin. But the gravy made from the drippings was INCREDIBLE. And I will grill pretty much anything.

Lately have been watching Bobby Flay's BBQ Addiction show, and trying to re-create his recipes. For this weekend, going to do sea scallops on the grill, and smoked swordfish. Will share the results (if it is good, lol, but it better be since it is a $70 piece of swordfish). And since it is WSM smoke day, also doing the wings and the salmon.

Smoked salmon
ss-20130216-00211_zps5rgzrvgh.jpg

Welcome to the forum Brian. That food looks great and it sounds like you will fit in here just fine. You should post pics of that great Weber family of cookers. Happy smoke day.

While camping, stacked a smokey joe on top of a kettle to cook breakfast. Did the stack so a couple of creaky backs didn't have to bend over....

20140706_105233_zpssbr7rtmy.jpg

Thanks Bob. Will get a pic of the family once I get them set up in one place, right now they're scattered around the yard.

Have to ask, how did they taste? Wonder how they compare to deep fried twinkies?

Haven't had the deep dried, but these were delicious. The outside got nice and crusty, and the creamy inside got nicely melted. They were actually better on the charcoal grill, but you know the rule, no pics / didn't happen :)

Welcome Brian. Some mighty fine cooks you done! If I had to pick, I like your wings, made me hungry looking at em'

Hello Brian and welcome to the forum. I'm originally from the south shore of Long Island,Patchogue to be exact, so I know Huntington very well. I spent many an evening at The Salty Dog. Glad to have someone from back home here.

Back