Jerky Marinade Question

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post my question. If not I apologize. I have been making beef jerky for years using the ground meat/jerky canon approach. For this I usually use a store bought mix for seasoning. I am making some of that right now. While I was getting the ground meat for my latest batch, I noticed a top round roast on sale and picked it up thinking I would try some sliced meat jerky too. I have tried sliced meat jerky once before and made up my own marinade. The results were acceptable but not great. My question is, what recipe do you use for the marinade for sliced beef (venison, buffalo, other random critter) jerky? Also what slicing method do you prefer? Should I slice with the grain (for tough but consistent jerky) or across it (for more tender but less consistent jerky)? Please advise. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can provide...

Regards,

John

Hi John, I'm no expert, but I've made >30 batches myself over the years, not including what the old man & uncles did.

My jerky marinade is basically soy sauce, a little worchestershire, and whatever flavors I feel like (garlic/onion,,,,today I'd throw in some sesame oil). Usually just something simple like this:

I've never used tenderquick (I take that back - maybe once).

For the slices, I've always had the butcher do it in ~1/4" thick strips, but the last batch I picked up from Thompson's Smokehouse, some of the dried pieces were >3/8" thick, so maybe try some up to 1/2" thick (maybe just one or two & let me know how it comes out!)

Across the grain / with the grain??? depends on the thickness of the meat, I think. Thin I think I'd go with the grain, thick I think still with the grain a little, but at an angle. The thick pieces I got from the smokehouse weren't nearly as dry as I make it.

Lots of good replies will hopefully follow mine!

Thanks Clint. I went with a mixture of equal parts Soy Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce and added a couple Tbs of honey, Montreal Steak, and one tsp of onion powder. I meant to add some liquid smoke but forgot to do it. I sliced the roast with the grain and pretty thin (~1/8") and then cut the cross sections into 1" strips. Right now the meat is vacuum marinating in the fridge. Later today I will cold smoke it (since I forgot the liquid smoke) and then put it in the dehydrator over night. Hopefully this will turn out OK...

Regards,

John

throw on some black pepper for good measure :)

I still haven't cold smoked anything so you're already ahead of me - I hope to see a picture (hint hint)

Dwain, at what temp do you dry them out and for how long? I have an 18.5 WSM. Do you recommend snake method or minion? What meat cuts do you typically use?

Back