Mini-Mod Monday

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
I haven't done anything to my mini's in a while. I have tried all different things for therm ports. High temp grommets, brass ferrels, lamp repair kits. The 18.5 WSM I bought off CL it is old enough that it didn't the new therm grommet. So I went online to eReplacementParts.com and ordered up part number 85037. Since the flat rate shipping was almost as much as the part I decided to get enough for all the mini's too. I wanted to do the mini's first in case I messed something up. Actually drilled a test hole in one of my steamer inserts to make sure the size was spot on.

Takes an 1 1/4" hole. I used a hole saw bit and started on one side then swapped to the other to finish the hole. Doing that avoids a big tear out burr. There still was a small burr, that was easily sanded down I didn't have access to any of my files hence the 100 grit sand paper!

17682376588_44dbf129df_k.jpg

17247682654_4cd9b30658_k.jpg

17867283232_ea807eefe8_k.jpg

17247677894_ace22c2b6b_k.jpg

Takes an 1 1/4" hole. I used a hole saw bit and started on one side then swapped to the other to finish the hole. Doing that avoids a big tear out burr. There still was a small burr, that was easily sanded down I didn't have access to any of my files hence the 100 grit sand paper!
I've been waiting for this information :)

Looks good, my 18" will soon have two. (I bought two, too because the shipping is more than the grommet)

Case T, you have become the resident 'mini guru'! You have taken these little smokers to an entirely different level! Great job on the grommet mod and thanks for the info.
Tim

Looks good, my 18" will soon have two. (I bought two, too because the shipping is more than the grommet)

Case T, you have become the resident 'mini guru'! You have taken these little smokers to an entirely different level! Great job on the grommet mod and thanks for the info.
Tim

Thanks guys!

I got to tell ya I spent a good year reading everything I could about the Mini-WSM before building my first one four years ago. I like to build stuff, boats, furniture, houses, fences, trailers, sheds, and smokers! Most of my projects never really are complete! Gotta keep "making them better". Efficiency wise I don't think there's much more I could do. Using the side light method I can get a consistent 12-14 hours at 265. High temps are a no brainier. The most in is definitely my favorite smoker that I own.

I don't need both mine, PM me your addy and I'll put it in tomorrow's mail

Hey thanks for the offer Chuck! I actually ordered four more before I saw your post. My GOSM is going to get one for each rack location!

does a therm probe just insert into the grommet?

Yes. There's are two spots. One is for a single probe. Tou just push the probe in until it gets to the bend. Then there is a slit that you can run multiple probes or the probe wires threw.

Good post ....you help me to make up my to get one for my mini. I should have got one before now....the mini is my go to smoker. Just cook for the two of us.

Good post ....you help me to make up my to get one for my mini. I should have got one before now....the mini is my go to smoker. Just cook for the two of us.

Thank you! The good thing is the mini can cook for two, or ten. Depending on how much food your friends can eat!

Case,

On your first pic with the Za Oven you have it above the grate, and in the second it seems to be on the bottom. Where do you think is the best location to place it if I was to do this route on my pot (top grate being the location - above or below the grate).

Back