Grill Thermometer

Danny Pagel

Can anyone recommend a grill thermometer that costs under $100.00? I like the maverick ET73. But I'd like to hear from some of you who use this model. Would you recommend it? Any issues with this particular model? I would appreciate any help. Thx Danny

I have the ET-733 and it's great. well worth the money. the only thing I'd change is I'd like to have 2 probes and pit temp rather than just 1 probe and a pit temp.

Hi Danny,

Mavericks are very popular on this forum, so most definitely a good choice. Here is another option you may consider.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00EHNH3JC/tvwb-20

The ChefAlarm by ThermoWorks has served me well, so I like to recommend it. It has one probe input and has high and low alarms. It also holds a display of the min and max temperatures since the last time it was powered on, and it has a built in timer.

Your question was about a "grill thermometer." Is it safe to assume you'd be using it more for grilling than for smoking? Even though I have a fancier thermometer than this, when I'm using the kettle, I still like to use the ChefAlarm with the air probe passed through one of the lid vent holes. When cooking with a smoker, often people have a probe to monitor the air temp (pit probe) as well as another probe stuck in the meat. This setup could also be used for grilling though. If you wanted to do that with a ChefAlarm, you'd only be able to have 1 probe connected to the unit at a time, and you'd have to switch back and forth between which probe is plugged in. I've done this in the past, and it helps to make a "label" of sorts for the connector ends of the probe cables, to make it obvious which one is for air and which one is for meat.

Last edited:
Hi Chris, Thanks for your recommendation. Yes I am looking specifically for a pit probe. I checked out the ChefAlarm via your link and I like what I saw. It got lots of great reviews. I did notice the pit probe is sold separately for around $20.00 incl. shipping. It is also within my budget. Hmmmm now I am not sure which one to get :)

Hi Chris, Thanks for your recommendation. Yes I am looking specifically for a pit probe. I checked out the ChefAlarm via your link and I like what I saw. It got lots of great reviews. I did notice the pit probe is sold separately for around $20.00 incl. shipping. It is also within my budget. Hmmmm now I am not sure which one to get :)

You're welcome Danny. I have both of those probes, and both work well. Too bad they don't offer the ChefAlarm with just the air probe, but as you said, it's not too expensive. I believe when I ordered the air probe it also came with a small metal clip for attaching to the grates. I use this clip in the smoker, but for the grill I just drop the probe through one of the vent holes and fish it down until it's at the correct height above the grate. I've used this probe in my indoor oven as well, which showed me how inaccurate my old oven's thermostat really is.

FWIW, I know the ThermoWorks probes are popular, even as replacements to be used with other brand thermometers.

I finally decided...I purchased a Maverick ET73 for $35.95 I have used it twice and really like it!!! I especially like the remote receiver. Thank you guys for your input.

Back