Notes from 1st cook on WSM...

LarryA

So, with the weather finally turning a bit reasonable, I had the chance yesterday afternoon to crank up my new WSM for the first time...

I decided to go with a chicken (~5-6 lb) and a small package of country style ribs. (No, I usually don't use these, but since this was a test run, I didn't want to 'waste' a good rack of ribs, if I woulda messed up...)

I found out that the courtyard at my (new) place really is a wind tunnel, so that's going to make this whole adventure this summer more exciting. Although I was worried about it yesterday, it didn't seem to affect anything either way.

I started off with about 18 briquets in a chimney, and the remainder of a half-bag of Kingsford (new, 2015 variety) in the WSM.

After about 15 minutes in the chimney, I scattered the lit coals all around the stack of unlit charcoal; I added about 4 (pre-soaked) apple wood chunks among the coals. I had forgotten to save an empty gallon jug, so I used a beer pitcher that was sitting around -- I used 3 pitchers' full of water straight from the tap.

About 15 minutes later, I was getting smoke (white -- definitely not the "thin blue trail of smoke" I've read about, around here) and I was up to 200F, so I figured "why waste the smoke?", and I loaded the meat. Butterflied chicken on the bottom grate, and six ribs scattered on the top grate. The WSM seemed to look up at me and snicker, "what? that's all you got? you think I'm a 14-incher or something?". (I can't wait to see what I can fit in there, when I'm really trying...!)

uc

uc

uc

In about 20 minutes, I was two tickmarks shy of 250F. At that point, for the next two hours, I just kept fiddling with the vents. I kept the top vent on full open the whole time. The bottom vents I treated as if they were a single series (if that makes sense) -- instead of fiddling with all of them, I only worked them one at a time, as I felt the need to. One stayed open the whole time; I eventually closed another; and the third I only touched once the second one was closed and I felt I needed to close off a little more. Using them that way, I kept the needle between under the 250F mark the whole time -- between two tickmarks shy of 250 and six tickmarks shy of 250.

Almost two hours into it, I noticed that the temp had gone down to 200. So, I fully opened the 2nd lower vent, and reopened the one I'd closed since the beginning. I was just about done, though, so I wasn't sweating it.

As far as smoke goes, it was thick and white the whole time. Almost an hour and half into the cook, there was no more smoke visible (although there was still a nice wood-burning smell in the air).

I pulled the meat after it had been on for 2 1/2 hours. The ribs turned out well -- nice smoke ring, and good flavor. They weren't terribly overcooked, but I don't have a lot of tolerance for dried out pork. The chicken looked beautiful. But, the skin was of the rubbery-smoked-skin variety (I've gotta work on that). The breasts were done perfectly, but the thighs could've stood to continue cooking for a little while longer. It was done all the way through, and was very moist, but still... I could've kept it on for another 20-30 minutes, I think.

uc

When I looked at the bottom third of the WSM, I saw that the wood chunks hadn't been completely consumed -- that was a surprise! And, it looked like I still had some charcoal in there. When I go to clean it out tonight, I'll get a better look.

So, here are my takeaways from this cook:
  • I had an off-brand bullet smoker about 20 years ago, and it's probably what got me interested in BBQ. Yesterday's experience brought back memories of fiddling, fiddling, fiddling with the smoker! (Although, to be honest, I didn't know what I was doing back then, and besides, it seems like back then, I was always opening the door -- more water, more wood, more charcoal. And, the other smoker's vent was insufficient to control temp well.) I was pretty impressed at how easy it was to keep the temperature within a desired range with the WSM's three vents!
  • I didn't manage to get the temp up in the 260-275 range. I'll have to work on that, especially as I turn toward racks of ribs.
  • I went through more charcoal than I'd expected to use. At the very least, that half-bag seemed to be starting to peter out at 90-100 minutes into the cook. When it comes to doing ribs, I'm guessing that I'll have to start with more unlit briquets from the beginning.
  • I've really gotta work on making good chicken skin. When BBQing on my Performer, I've always ended up with the same rubbery skin, but didn't really try to improve on it. I was reading some of the hints from the one competition BBQer here -- maybe I'll try that, in order to soften up the chicken skin. (That's what it's all about, right? Finding BBQ challenges and overcoming them?!?!)
  • I'm wondering whether I'll get better results if I have more food on the grill. Does the amount of food change the performance of the grill -- other than taking longer to come up to temp?
  • I need to work on wood chunk placement. Do ya'll put them in the ring, or between the ring and the side wall of the WSM?
  • I read, on the Weber site, that chunks don't need to be soaked. Over the past 10 years, I'd pretty much used chips exclusively. Now that I want to put wood in and leave everything alone, though, I was thinking that I want to use chunks. Does soaking help? Does it hurt?

uc

It was a good experience. Time to plan for next weekend!

Yep, the WSM is a whole different animal than the ECB but that's where I started too
Try without water in the pan to get higher temps, I haven't used water for several years
Half a bag should last several hours, so not sure what happened there
Other than competition thighs, I pull the skin off and throw it away
You are correct on the amount of food, you just have to make sure you don't block air flow. I've had 6 butts on my
18.5", it was a little much but the smoker did it's job.
Chunks get mixed in with the charcoal, and I never soak the wood regardless of if it's chips or chunks.
I always try to let the coals burn for about an hour before adding meat, it seems like it takes that long to get the "thin blue"
Enjoy the WSM!

You've done yourself a favor with the detailed noting, it'll provide you with good reference points on further cooks. I'm no expert but from what I've learned, largely here, is that the issue with your temp may be due to the fuel having to expend an enormous amount of energy to heat the water in the pan. Many here, myself included, do not use water in the pan. I agree with Greg about waiting before adding your meat. I wait until there is no longer any white smoke at all, just very barely visible blue/gray smoke,then add my meat. This takes me between 30 & 45 minutes. I also don't soak my chunks.

When i do poultry I do not use water, but leave the pan in the smoker. You can either cover the pan in foil or make a Piedmont Pan to keep the drippings from burning.

I start out with 2 full chimneys of lit charcoal, usually a mix of KBB and lump. Then i run all vents open til done. Not quite like directly grilled skin but not rubber either.

About 15 minutes later, I was getting smoke (white -- definitely not the "thin blue trail of smoke" I've read about, around here) {snip} As far as smoke goes, it was thick and white the whole time. Almost an hour and half into the cook, there was no more smoke visible (although there was still a nice wood-burning smell in the air)
You're going to get white smoke until the wood gets right at the point where it wants to catch fire but can't. If you don't get the blue smoke, then the wood never got to that point. Opening the vents will help get to that point, but a little goes a long way. I often put my food on while white smoke is coming out, but if it doesn't turn blue by 15 minutes, I open the vents some to get the air in. Once the blue smoke shows up, I close the vents IF I want to reduce the heat (used to cook below 250, now I never cook below 250 and often at 275+) My smoke typically goes away within the first hour or so and that's fine by me, the food is still getting plenty of smoke even if none is coming out the vent

Crispy chicken skin takes high heat 325 or better. No water in the pan will help get the temp up, or use hot water in the pan to come up to temp faster.

Larry, regarding your Google Drive photo sharing problem, I was able to make it work, at least for the time being, but Google Drive is not really a photo sharing site, it's a file storage and file sharing site. It doesn't like to serve up images to websites and forums like Photobucket or Picasa will do. The solution was to replace your URL with the following:

Code:
http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=XXXXXXXX

and replace XXXXXXXX with your photo file ID.

I would suggest using Photobucket for forum posts.

Guys,

Thanks for all the comments!

Some questions for you:

Greg Powers said:
I always try to let the coals burn for about an hour before adding meat, it seems like it takes that long to get the "thin blue"

What happens if I load up the WSM right after I pour in the lit charcoal and the water? Yeah, sure, it's gonna take a while for it all to come up to temp, but is there anything bad that will happen if the meat is sitting there on the grates, in the 175-200 range, before it gets to 'barbecue temperatures'?

Matt Rector said:
Crispy chicken skin takes high heat 325 or better.

OK, fair enough. But, if I'm over 275 or so, I'm not barbecuing anymore, but just grilling... right? Not that grilled, smoked chicken isn't good... but it's a whole different thing, isn't it?

Chris -- thanks for the tech recommendation!

Some questions for you:
What happens if I load up the WSM right after I pour in the lit charcoal and the water? Yeah, sure, it's gonna take a while for it all to come up to temp, but is there anything bad that will happen if the meat is sitting there on the grates, in the 175-200 range, before it gets to 'barbecue temperatures'?
OK, fair enough. But, if I'm over 275 or so, I'm not barbecuing anymore, but just grilling... right? Not that grilled, smoked chicken isn't good... but it's a whole different thing, isn't it?
No, nothing bad will happen. Everybody has his own preference. I add meat immediately after dumping lit and adding wood. I've never had meat taste bitter because it was exposed to white smoke.
No, over 275 isn't considered grilling. I'd consider grilling over 400, bbq in the 300's and smoking less than 300. But again, just playing with words

Back