Piedmont Pan for the 22

Gary Wilson

I have use two Brinkman charcoal pans as a Piedmont pan with a Guru in my 18 and have never looked back. The only time I do not use the Piedmont pan is when I cook butts on the top rack with the Guru and no pan. I have a 22 still in the box and need to know what to use as a Piedmont pan with it.

Gary,

IMHO I don't think you need one. I did my first cook on my 22 earlier in the week, (3 racks of baby backs) and foiled the water pan and left it empty. I controlled the temps on the way up, shutting down the vents when the cooker reached 230 in the lid.therm. It continued to climb to about 240-248 and stayed there for the rest of the cook. My cooking grate temp was consistently in the 225-235 range.

Controlling your temps on the way up is the key.

Bruce,

Thanks for the info. I think I will try a cook or two with just a foiled pan and the Guru. If that does not work plan "B" is to get another water pan and make a Piedmont pan.

I realize this thread is very old, but I was curious of anyone had come up with a water pan configuration for the 22.5" that has the flexibility of the Piedmont pan for the 18.5".

I really like being able to cook hot without water and without burning the grease or low and slow and decrease my water consumption drastically without foiling anything, removing pan covers, swapping out for a plate, etc.

So far all I've come across is the stainless water pan cover for the 22.5", which would allow me to hot smoke without burning the drippings, but without the other advantages of the Piedmont setup.

Back