Too brine or not too brine that is the question.

Mike Isaacson

TVWBB Fan
Was hoping some of you turkey's er I mean turkey experts could help me out... This Sat. is my daughter's first comunion and we are having a party :greenperformer:. I am going to do a 12lb. turkey on the rotisserie, I have been reading up on your cooks and I dont know If I have to brine... My problem is space in the fridge and I have never brined before. I have done many chickens and they have turned out very juicy but I dont know if I really should be doing it to a turkey... Thoughts?

Thanks for your help and remember to keep your stick out of the smoke.

Mike

You could brine in a large ziploc bag in a cooler with a bag or two of ice. It'll stay cold for the 2 days or so you'll need.

Brining is the only way I do my turkey's. Len's approach will work just fine. Around thanksgiving, some stores sell brining bags. Good luck and enjoy your daughters party. Sounds like she has a great dad.

I never really brined until I tried Larry R's brine - I just PM'd you a turkey recipe from franklin bbq that I've been wanting to try

It depends on the bird, if it's enhanced with a salt solution or not. Most seem to be and also how much they are will determine if you should, could or not, If the salt solution is above 10% you could end up with a really salty bird.
What Len said is how I do mine works great.

Ok so I just looked at the bird and it does say enhanced 9.5% containing sodium, so does that mean I dont have to brine or should I brine just with no salt in the soulution.... I have to run to town to get some things and I will try to see if I can find a brining bag, I will use my cooler with Ice as suggested... Thank you guys and I will be taking pictures for everyone.

It depends on the bird, if it's enhanced with a salt solution or not. Most seem to be and also how much they are will determine if you should, could or not, If the salt solution is above 10% you could end up with a really salty bird.
What Len said is how I do mine works great.

IMO its really hard to brine a bird that has already been brined. Meat can only hold so much in it's tissue.

Back