2011 e-320 project

Bill G

Got a great deal on a green 2011 e-320. Overall in good shape but a bit banged up. The first major issue I see is that the side burner seems like it was ripped out to the point where one of the posts that the bolt should screw into was pulled right out leaving an oversized hole. Any suggestions on that fix? Also the grates I was given were rand new stainless but seems like there is extra space as if the grates were the set that came with the smoker box on the side. Can that box be purchased asperity?

Last edited:
I can post some photos. In general, can you get parts like bolts, clips etc for a 2011 Genesis e-320

Call Weber. They are very good at helping with problems like this. Also it would help to post pics. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the advice. I will follow up. Here is what I am talking about, you can see the large hole that was left when the threaded piece was ripped out. I do still have the piece, the whole is just to big for it to stay in now
DSC_0753_zpsd3abdn37.jpg

DSC_0754_zps4fwq14cf.jpg

I was thinking I could just drill all the way through the other end of the frame and use a nut and bold to hold it but I hate to make another hole.

Last edited:
I would use something called a "nutsert", but I already have them. Google them and you might find something that will work.

Thanks

I would use something called a "nutsert", but I already have them. Google them and you might find something that will work.

Thanks for the tip Bob, looks like that's probably what was there originally. I just have to see if I can get the existing hole flat enough that a rivnut or nutsert would work. Anyone have advice on trying to flatten this ?

Try pop riveting a piece of metal from behind it and drill a new hole. A piece of flat aluminum stock with do the trick

You don't really need that bolt in place. The majority of the stress is held by the slats. If it were mine I'd put it together and forget about it.

What you need is called a riv nut and a puller they can be found at Harbor freight. You get them in asorted sizes by whatever thread you need 10-32 , 10-24. Etc. It is like a over sized pop rivet puller.

Kevin there is not enough "meat" in that metal to use this tool. OP needs to either replace the leg or use another piece of metal to back it up

LMichaels to know for sure you would need a measurment of the hole. The amount of edge margin needed to Install one of these rivnuts is about the same as pop rivet just larger hole to start with.
it would also be nice to know what size bolt is on the other side.
you would have manufacture that side of the leg as that panel with legs are one piece if I recall correctly. I know the bottom panel was over 60 bucks when I priced it out last summer.
The leg could be cut out of square stock welded in at a shop for about the same or less than new if you do not have the tools.

Not sure what you're actually trying to get at. I looked at the hole and knowing that tool as well as I do (use one rather often) I know that metal is torn and fatigued too much to rely on one of the inserts. If it was my grill I'd reinforce the metal from inside and THAN use the tool/insert. It would not be hard to reinforce it

Back