Pork Juice Infused Sweet Potato Mash

Michael A

I debated whether this belonged in "Pork" or "Side Dishes"...

I'll start by saying that I learn much more from this forum than I contribute, but something was so right tonight that I cannot help but share. Apologies for the lack of pics and precise measurements, but this was an unplanned win ;)

This started as a day of 2 racks of pork ribs (almost 3-2-1 method).

For the 3 hour smoke (really 2.5) on my Performer - rubdown with yellow mustard, season with Grill Mates Brown Sugar Bourbon, then brown sugar. Added a bit of apple wood for the smoke.
For the 2 hours in foil ( apple juice, butter, brown sugar, small bit of honey, bit more of the seasoning rub)
For the 1 hour (1 sweet bbq, 1 spicy bbq)

After the 2 hours in foil, I poured off roughly 20oz of fluid. I skimmed off the fat to discard (I like to pour in a tall thin glass to make it easier). Then, I simmered what remained for a few min (less than 5).

What remained was that sweet & savory goodness (aka Pork Juice)...what to do...?

Here's the answer that we will come back to again, and my wife gets credit for this. My idea was to make a nice gravy or something...but her idea was better.

Pork Juice Infused Sweet Potato Mash

Yes - it's mashed sweet potatoes with the pork juice for some of the liquid
-Cube and boil the potatoes (we had 4)
-Add a bit of heavy cream, 1/2 stick butter
-Add Pork Juice
-Blend and add salt & pepper to taste (may not need any salt due to pork juice)

Some of the best mashed sweet potatoes I have ever had, and just hoping we can repeat the win in the future! A perfect pairing for the ribs.

So - next time you pour off that pork juice and it just tastes too good to toss, give this a shot. I would sample the pork juice first...just to make sure it's not an off night ;)

Let me know if you try this, and also if you have any other ideas for that pork juice goodness!

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

Back