Practice Rib Box

Richard Laiche

Hey there,

Just created my first practice rib box. Overall I think it looks okay, but I know I have to tighten them up. I am concerned about the uneven color on the ribs and the dark spots. I smoked them lying flat on the WSM and I noticed that there was some liquid pooling in some areas that may have created these spots. Does this happen to anyone else? Would a rib rack correct this issue? Also, I heard that putting them bones up allows for judges to get them out of the box easier. I like the look of the bones down, but let me know what you think. Thanks!

ribs_zpsaocgpjyh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Very Good looking box of Pork Ribs, Richard !
Can not help you on the cooking side, but on side following the walk...
Like you noted, tightening them up would help to keep them together until we get our hands on them.
Since we now use a fork to remove samples from the box, placement isn't as critical.
All in all, this box is a solid 8. If seen in person, may be a 9.

And this is your first box ??? Excellent job !
Wishing You and Your Team, BBQ Excellence !

Bob

Last edited:
Very nice first box. judges are only suppose to judge the ribs itself, but we all know everything counts in the box. Try to keep your packing consistent all the way around the box. Also, try to keep your ribs the same length and width. That's part of the reason why we cook 2-3 racks. Putting 8 ribs in the box shows confidence in the team. The flip side is, that's two more chances of a judge getting a bad bite. As far as the dark spots? I've judge a few comps and I always judge appearance super super lenient. Honestly, I could care less what they look like. It's all about the chew to me. I only judge low if the team didn't even try and make it obvious. I would also give you an 8. tighten your rib cuts and packing...9 all day. IMO you nailed the color. I don't mind the dark at all. Some judges like them super wet and shinny and some don't. Comps are very tricky. They can lift you up and beat you down all in the same day. With you being a neighbor, we might just meet at a comp this season. Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything else.

Great looking first box I agree.

I really don't know if the pooling liquid caused the spots or not, but ribs do weep that is normal and then the liquid reabsorbs.Most people cook there ribs flat that you will compete against.

I read that uneven rub or to much sugar in your rub could be the problem. And I think meat up is the right way to go in the box.

Your on the right track and will do good.

Last edited:
That box looks good from here. As said, less is more. 6 bones make the box less busy and the edges coyld shown better. Not oversauced. Black spit on meat depend on cooking T/rub.

Back