22" Temp Question and solution??

Vinny G

TVWBB Fan
Hello all. Haven't post on the site for a while. Hope all is well for all!!! I just pulled the trigger on the 22". I already have the 18". I have bin reading on the form, on different posts, that the 22" temps stay at 250 for only about 6 hours. Well on my 18", I foil the water pan, fill the charcoal ring up, add 3 chunks of wood, and add 5 to 8 hot coals. Keep all vent wide open and watch the temp rise. When temp get to about 200 I start shutting bottom vents about half way. At this point I see if temp stay around 225 - 250. If not I open or close the bottom vents according to which way the temps are going. This all takes about an hour to an hour an a half to stay at 250. The 18" stay at this temp for at least 8 to 10 hours if not 12 hours. The reason for the 3 different times are because it all depends on the wind. Very windy days and I don't put up a wind shield the wsm will only stay at 250 for 8 hours. If it is a calm day I can get 12+ hours at 250. So with all that said, I will try whats bin working on my 18" on my new 22" and report back after my first smoke to let you know how it works out. What do you all think the out come will be or not to be.:wsm:

Well Vinny, my 22WSM will normally go 12 hours in that temp range, but in Los Angeles I normally don't have major temp or wind problems as my WSM in on the back porch (for now). Good luck with your test and keep us informed. Congrats on the 22.

Wind does affect the temperature, but having said that my 22" WSM will hold steady temperature for 12+ hours if wind is calm.
I start 1/2 to 3/4 chimney of briquettes, I put a coffee can in the middle of the charcoal grate and fill the fire ring around it full. This pretty much consumes a 20# bag of charcoal.
Pour the lit coals in the can and pull it.
Wood chunks go on the lit coals and scattered across the rest of the coal bed.
On my smoker (no aftermarket parts) one intake vent open ~1/8" will achieve and hold ~210 degrees, the vent can be tweaked in very tiny increments up to 250 even though the vent has lots of adjustment left if I want 270 it works better if I open two vents ~1/8".
Once my cook starts I leave the lid on until the meat thermometer starts getting close to typical finishing temp.

I have also started the fire by pouring the lit briquettes across the top of the coal bed, that works too but I think I have better control of the fire if I start it with the can in the middle.

I just seasoned my new 22" WSM last week. poured ½ chimney of lit coals over about a bag of KBB and added 4 chunks of hickory. No water pan, as I added 1 pound of cheap sacrificial bacon to the grates, and I wanted the rendered fat to produce lots of smoke and grease.
Bottom line? The grease seemed to seal up any lid leakage of smoke in due time. I had the vents almost totally closed on the bottom. the thing held "smoking" temps for over 24 hours! I was quite impressed. My first smoke will probably involve a thermometer with a temp alarm, as I really do not want to stay up all night tending to a smoker. Planning on foiling an empty pan.
The neighborhood smelled fantastic, by the way......

I don't understand why you would only start with 5-8 lit coals. I understand that your trying to get your temp on the way up, but if you start with more it won't take so long to get to temp. I start both my 18"wsm and 22.5"wsm with half a chimney of lit using the tin can minion method as someone else mentioned above. I'll get to temp in 30mins or less.

Back