MWSM from the great white north

Matthew Y

TVWBB Fan
Hello from Toronto,

Long time reader, first time poster. Just a heads up for anyone else from Toronto who decides to build the Mini. It was a pain to find a perfect 32qt pot. I tried many stores. Most from Amazon.com either didn't ship the item to Canada or the shipping price was really high. I end up ordering the IMUSA 32qt steamer pot at bedbathbeyond.ca. My order was cancelled due to some customs issue. Had to goto customer service to have a pot shipped from another province.

First off, I'm the most un-handy person in the world. I'm horrible with tools. I decided to make my mini as easy as I can.

Just drilled multiple holes on the bottom and one hole for the thermometer. (Deciding if I should remove it, add a grommet and use my Maverick ET-733)

Sprayed 3 coats Gloss Black.

Had some leakage on my template. I'm going to spray it all black and re-apply another template. Too eager to test this out.

While it dried, use the left over paint to paint my Q.

For the inside guts. Used a corn beef hash can. The charcoal basket most people make looks simple enough to make, but I have a feeling it will take me hours. I'll see how this burns without for now.

I saw one of CaseT post of his Pilot mini's and borrowed his idea to make mine. Used 5" SS carriage bolts to put on top of the steamer lid. I decided this so I can transfer one of the grills to my performer as a warming rack or to add more space when cooking wings indirect.

First test with back ribs smoked with Applewood with some new dryrub I got.

Dampers all wide open. Heat maintained at 225 for the entire cook. 2x2x1. Didn't have to make any adjustments.

Finished off the ribs with Sweet Sugar Rays.

The ribs on the top rack were nice and juicy, the bottom rack was a little dry. All fall off the bone with some pull.

So far I'm pretty happy with the performance from this little guy. Only regret is not sticking with the Memphis dust I typically use, and not adding enough wood chunks. Not enough bark. Planning to make Pastrami for my next test.

Happy grilling all.
Matt

Looking good Matt. Now, tell me how your Imusa has rubber handles... I'm just a tad bit jealous.

Looking good Matt. Now, tell me how your Imusa has rubber handles... I'm just a tad bit jealous.

Mine was the one with the glass lid. It was my only option in Canada. From what I can tell walmart.com reduced the price on it. ($32 from $48.)

The lid was not a perfect fit. I had to use pliers and crimp around the whole pot to get a snug fit.

Nice looking Mini! Your ribs look Tasty!

You will find with the pot bottom only drilled out you won't be able to do high temp smokes. If you decide that you want to do high temp smokes the bottom can be cut out with tin snips, or a cheap jigsaw and a metal blade, or you can drill a ton of overlapping holes. I'd highly recommend making yourself a charcoal basket. Improves the efficiency of your charcoal.

Nice looking Mini! Your ribs look Tasty!

You will find with the pot bottom only drilled out you won't be able to do high temp smokes. If you decide that you want to do high temp smokes the bottom can be cut out with tin snips, or a cheap jigsaw and a metal blade, or you can drill a ton of overlapping holes. I'd highly recommend making yourself a charcoal basket. Improves the efficiency of your charcoal.

Your right about not getting high temp with the drilled holes. I was testing almost 2 full loads of charcoal and could not get over 250. I cut out the bottom with tin snips. I'm surprised how well the mini can keep the heat so low and steady.

Back