I guess it's time to build a mini...

$15 bucks? Well bought! They are a blast to make and use. Ever since I built mine, My primo and performer pretty much collect dust. It's just me and the wife so it has plenty of room for my needs

The mini is great, you will love it. Mine rarely sees low and slow, it mostly does cooks at 275+

I drilled holes in my SJS right about the grate height, to get more heat (and I got it) but then I figured out a cheap source of heat. Simply leave the grate on the BBQ and set your pot on top of the grate. You'll get about 1/32nd air gap all the way around, that's the way to go. Now I kinda wish I hadn't drilled those holes, LOL

Nate, that is what I call a great family picture!!!! You must be very proud. That would be perfect to teach them with.

Picked up the only 32qt IMUSA tamale pot at Walmart this morning. I knew fit was hit and miss with this brand but wanted to keep this build cost under $50. So, it fits the SJ bowl just fine. The lid was a different matter; the pot rim was to wide as you can see in the first pic. Out came the grinder. I took down enough material around the perimeter of the pot rim until the SJ lid fit. A little filing and it doesn't really look like I did anything to it.
The lid fits perfect now.

I'm done except for drilling a hole for my temp probe. Don't know if I want to install a permanent one when I know I'll be using the Mavrick. :wsm:

I found the first thing I need to change. The clay pot base broke after about 45 min. The cooker was at 375 degrees. So I took that out and put the steamer diffuser in to see how that works.

Hey Nate, I use an old aluminum non-stick skillet wrapped in foil for my diffuser. I had an old scratched one scratched to hell that was given to me. I just cut the rivets holding on the handle, rather than drilling them out, so that if the foil leaks, the pan wont. I've found that's all I need. It is light enough to hit 275-300 for chicken but still allows me to run at 225 when needed.

Damn, I need to post pics. A recent move has kept me preoccupied.

Hey Nate, I use an old aluminum non-stick skillet wrapped in foil for my diffuser. I had an old scratched one scratched to hell that was given to me. I just cut the rivets holding on the handle, rather than drilling them out, so that if the foil leaks, the pan wont. I've found that's all I need. It is light enough to hit 275-300 for chicken but still allows me to run at 225 when needed.

Damn, I need to post pics. A recent move has kept me preoccupied.

Good idea with the old skillet. I might have an old one I can use that's sitting around taking up space.

Back